cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.ldf and .mdf files being skipped-

Brian_Sawyer
Level 4
Hello,
I have a question regarding the .ldf and .mdf database files in "Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data". From what I understand, these are the actual SQL database files and logs, and are always opened, and so they won't be able to be backed up. The SQL agent backs up the database and as long as that is installed and running, the actual databases are backing up.

What triggered this question again was our EMR application has a report that sends me the status of the EMR servers including backups. It reported that the EMR .ldf and .mdf files have not been backed up- which is true, they have been skipped. I wanted to verify that it is still OK to skip these files from the back up.

Does this article apply for version 10? http://support.veritas.com/docs/242688.

Any help would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-- If EMR application also has its own Database and those .ldf , .mdf files are in use , will get skipped ..

--As given in this document > "Backup Exec (tm) 9.x or Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers uses the Active File Exclusion feature to eliminate the SQL Server and flat-files from the file system backup. This will prevent "in use - skipped" errors on the .LOG files."

---If with SQL agent , MS SQL datebase is running fine , zyou can perform offline backup of this application or the steps as per given in the http://support.veritas.com/docs/242688

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Brian_Sawyer
Level 4
Does an offline backup need to be done? Are these .ldf and .mdf files that are in use necessary for a database restore?

Thanks,
Brian

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Does an offline backup need to be done?

-No, the online backups done with the Backup Exec SQL Agent are capable fo performing a restore.

Regards,
Padmaja

Brian_Sawyer
Level 4
Hello Padmaja,

Thanks for the clarification. Does the Backup Exec SQL Agent run as a service? Is it displayed as "SQLSERVERAGENT", or "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers"?

Thanks,
Brian

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The SQL "Agent" is merely a key that unlocks the capability at the media server.

The RemoteAgent "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers" DOES need to be installed and running

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.if you have any other questions please revert.

Thanks,

Brian_Sawyer
Level 4
Thanks for clearing that up for me Ken.

Brian_Sawyer
Level 4
Padmaja,

Our EMR support team acknowledges that the Veritas will not back up mdf and ldf files because these are always in use they can't be backed up through Veritas. They suggest that because the files actually contain the database information we still need to back that up. They stated SQL server needs to be set to back them up to a backup file which can then be copied to tape or another backup storage device through Veritas. Is there a recommended procedure for this? Will I need to check Microsoft SQL server forums for the answer?

Thanks,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
They stated SQL server needs to be set to back them up to a backup file which can then be copied to tape or another backup storage device through Veritas

I'm not sure what they are talking about. As long as you have an Agent backup, you can recover all the data in all selected databases.

In the event of a Disaster,you restore the Master Database , then restore the data. See the Admin manual under SQL Disaster Recovery. if you can't find your bound copy, you can download a copy from http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

You can get a flatfile backup if you shut down SQL and change the Active File Exclusion list. This needs to be done on a weekend after adding or extending a database. See http://support.veritas.com/docs/259152

enzogoy_2
Not applicable
Hi all.

I have the same problem with not able to backup .mdf and .ldf file.  At the moment I use sql backup and use veristas to backup those .bak files.  Is there any other way for us to backup .mdf and .ldf files?  Should we stop the SQLServer service before the backup start.  Will it back the .mdf file?

Thank you.