cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

license is required for protecting remote servers

brugger
Level 2

I'm trying to pull data from two different server (with remote adgent installed) from my backup data server (running Backup Exec 12 sp1).  It was running well for a number of months but now I'm getting the following error about license required for this edition of Backup Exec.  Suggestions?

I was running the "starter" edition initially but then upgraded to the full when I found out it would not pull backups from other servers.  I did have this backup job working since the upgrade to Backup Exec full.

Job Log: BEX_MEYER-DATA2_00233.xmlJob Log for Full_data(Tape)

Completed status: Failed    See error(s)
      Expand AllCollapse All

Job Information
Job server: MEYER-DATA2
Job name: Full_data(Tape)
Job started: Thursday, September 04, 2008 at 3:03:09 PM
Job type: Backup
Job Log: BEX_MEYER-DATA2_00233.xml

Drive and media mount requested: 9/4/2008 3:03:09 PM
Device and Media Information
Drive and media information from media mount: 9/4/2008 3:03:24 PM
Drive Name: IBM 1
Media Label: Tape5
Media GUID: {81adc78e-77bd-423d-a1f4-cae50aade80f}
Overwrite Protected Until: 12/30/9999 7:00:00 PM
Appendable Until: 12/30/9999 7:00:00 PM
Targeted Media Set Name: Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite

All Media Used
 Tape5

Job Operation - Backup
            Backup Options
Media operation - overwrite.
Compression Type: Hardware [if available, otherwise none]
Encryption Type: None

Server - meyer-data1.meyer.local
License Violation
A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Access to the device \\meyer-data1.meyer.local\userdata is not authorized with this edition of the product.
A selection on device \\meyer-data1.meyer.local\studata was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\meyer-data1.meyer.local\generaldata was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\meyer-data1.meyer.local\CompLab was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

Server - MEYER-APPS1.meyer.local
License Violation
A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Access to the device \\MEYER-APPS1.meyer.local\FE_Backups is not authorized with this edition of the product.
A selection on device \\MEYER-APPS1.meyer.local\Pinnacle was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

Job Operation - Verify
Insufficient memory available.
V-79-57344-33858 - A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be running low on virtual memory.

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Thursday, September 04, 2008 at 3:03:25 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.
Final error category: Other Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37912

Errors
      Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- meyer-data1.meyer.localLicense Violation
Access to the device \\meyer-data1.meyer.local\userdata is not authorized with this edition of the product.
A selection on device \\meyer-data1.meyer.local\studata was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\meyer-data1.meyer.local\generaldata was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\meyer-data1.meyer.local\CompLab was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
Backup- MEYER-APPS1.meyer.localLicense Violation
Access to the device \\MEYER-APPS1.meyer.local\FE_Backups is not authorized with this edition of the product.
A selection on device \\MEYER-APPS1.meyer.local\Pinnacle was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
VerifyInsufficient memory available.
V-79-57344-33858 - A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be running low on virtual memory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do they come with the backup exec full version that I purchased?

Nope separately purchased

on a side note: Why would it have worked without them for a couple of months or so?

Only reason that I can think of would be that for some reason v12 was letting you "60 Day Demo" non-licensed options.  Used to be that once you entered ANY serials, all non-licensed options stopped working <shrug>

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-05-2008 01:04 PM

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you have two RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows Systems) serials installed on the media server?

brugger
Level 2

I don't remember doing that so I guess the answer is no.  How do I go about adding those?  Do they come with the backup exec full version that I purchased?

on a side note: Why would it have worked without them for a couple of months or so?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do they come with the backup exec full version that I purchased?

Nope separately purchased

Only reason that I can think of would be that for some reason v12 was letting you "60 Day Demo" non-licensed options.  Used to be that once you entered ANY serials, all non-licensed options stopped working <shrug>

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-05-2008 01:04 PM

brugger
Level 2

Ken,

thanks for your help. you are exactly correct.  while i had purchased the full version I was using the 60 day trials of the RAWS.  60 days was up and on came the errors.  I have new RAWS now so that should fix everything once I add them in.