cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

licenses

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

We wish to go for Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for our  DR site  (there are 4 windows servers in primary backing up and we  need this to  be restored in DR site ) and its Virtualized DR Solution .

Could you please let me know if we just need only one backup exec server license ?

do we need any remote agent licenses to be purhased

what is this live state recovery ?

4 REPLIES 4

MitchR
Level 6
You probably want to talk to Symantec Sales about this, but I'll give my best guess.

You'll need a BE server license for every server it's installed on - even if it's a DR server you (hopefully) never use.  Ditto for any agents at your DR site - if it's installed, you need to pay for it.

As for Virtulazation, last I've heard is that you buy an agent for each machine - real or virtual.  It's possible to have an agent on the host server, plus an agent for each VM that's on that server.

Think of it as the same as OS licenses.

MitchR
Level 6
You probably want to talk to Symantec Sales about this, but I'll give my best guess.

You'll need a BE server license for every server it's installed on - even if it's a DR server you (hopefully) never use.  Ditto for any agents at your DR site - if it's installed, you need to pay for it.

As for Virtulazation, last I've heard is that you buy an agent for each machine - real or virtual.  It's possible to have an agent on the host server, plus an agent for each VM that's on that server.

Think of it as the same as OS licenses.

ricdanger
Level 4

You should give a quick look at the EULA that ships with BE (also with the evaluation version).
If you license AVVI or AMVS on each virtualizaed server you will be able to deploy multiple RALUS and RAWS inside the VMs without cost. You will still have to buy the agents for applications like Exchange and SQL.

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes that is right mitchr. I guess i figured it right...

thank u so much