玳矴珳矴ͨ

anyone know why, or how to fix this?
10 REPLIES 10

Whatever1856
Level 3
bumb

Varsha
Level 6
We suggest you to label the media.Labeling the media will erase all the data stored on the tapes.

Whatever1856
Level 3
> We suggest you to label the media.Labeling the media
> will erase all the data stored on the tapes.

we rename the media everytime. Is that what you are talking about?

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Three methods are available in Backup Exec to change a media label:

* Label Media operation:

Writes a new media label on the media. This write operation destroys any data on the media. This option is available on the Devices view.

* Rename operation:

Changes the name of the media and the display, but does not write the new label to the media until an overwrite operation occurs. The data on the media is viable until the media is overwritten.

* Edit the label in the media’s property page. Editing the label changes the name of the media in the display, but does not write the new label to the media until an overwrite operation occurs. The data on the media is viable until the media is overwritten.

If above mentioned steps fails then perform following steps:

Run Beutility and perform following steps mentioned in the following technote’s:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Perform Inventory and Label operation.

Hope this helps.

Please advice the result.

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
No reply from user.

Whatever1856
Level 3
Sorry about the delay things got kind of busy over here. following the instructions in your link did not help. We have already relabeled and renamed all of the media.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

We suggest you to use a new tape media.
Insert it in the tape device.Run an inventory and then check the results.

If the issue persists then check the label in windows NT backup.If it is showing it correctly in "NTBACKUP" but not in backup exec then follow the steps given below,

1.Uninstall the Veritas associated drivers by using the Tapeinst.exe utility.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm

Here when "Choosing Tape drivers" screen appears then select the third option of "uninstall and remove all Veritas drivers".

2. Now Go to Devices tab ;Right click on the tape drive (If it is showing) > uncheck "Enabled".

3. Again right click on the tape drive(If it is showing) and select "Delete"

4. Stop all Backup Exec services.

5.Now delete(Uninstall) the Tape device from the Device manager.

6.Reboot the server and verify that Tape device is detected and Microsoft driver is installed.

7.Start all Backup Exec services and verify if the tape device is detected.

8.Now again follow the Technote:199881 and follow the steps to install the Veritas drivers .

We hope this resolves your query.Revert back if the issue persists with necessary information.

Whatever1856
Level 3
i haven't had a chance to try your last suggestion yet. But i did find an interesting pattern. If i do not have a tape in when the job is scheduled to, and then put one in after, it labels the tape properly. If i have a tape in when the job is scheduled to start it is given the funny label name.

I dont' know if that makes a difference or not.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to know what tape drive you are using ? Is it a single tape drive or a robotic library.

Also, have you installed the latest Veritas tape drivers and checked the results ?

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply