cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move to tape instead of disk to folder

Rocky77
Level 4

Hello,

My boss asked me to use BE 2010 to tape and configure all 10 servers to use tape; is there any step by step instruction how to do that and do i have to start from scratch?

Thank you very much

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Rocky,

No, there isn't.

Depending on the number of jobs (individual jobs vs. a policy), all you'd have to do is open a particular job, and target the tape drive instead of the B2D. This can be done under the Job Setup tab. Make sure that the drive has a tape in it (assuming a stand-alone drive and not an autoloader/library), and whichever job runs, it will assign that tape to the corresponding media set.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As well as targeting your jobs to the tape, you would also have to consider the sequence that you run your jobs.  To maximise the usage of your tape space, you would need to specify that your first job overwrites the tape and then the subsequent jobs append to it.  As such, you would need to set the appropriate OPP and AP for your tape media set.  See the document below

OPP and AP explanation

macpiano
Level 6

Is your boss crazy? I got rid of tapes several months ago and all my backups are backed up to a different building 25 miles away using dedupe. I just did several restores where data was deleted and they all ran perfectly.

CraigV

...now now! Different strokes for different folks. The aim is to assist the OP, not shoot down what the plan is.

macpiano
Level 6

Trust me I understand. lol, Dedupe has it's huge issues-I'm dealing with one now with the runaway dedupe folder size . My new boss hates tapes so yes different strokes...

Rocky77
Level 4

Thank you very much

Rocky77
Level 4
Thank You

Rocky77
Level 4
yes he is i guess he wants some sort of physical backup.

Chase_Drouillar
Level 4

Yeah, my employer also requires backup to tape jobs to be performed and stored offsite. It's for additional data security. They're placed in lockboxes at nearby locations. We also have onsite B2D backups of everything performed for more readily accessible data.

In response to the person with all his jobs going to a facility 25 miles away, what happens if that facility is destroyed in some form of catastrophic event, or there's some sort of catastrophic data failure on the server? Because all of your data is backed up to a single location, with no physical copies elsewhere, you've just lost 100% of your data. If anything, I'd say your boss is crazy for having so little data security. That's a sort of "Putting all your eggs in one basket" approach, better hope it's a pretty good basket.

I hope you're at least backing up your data normally to your onsite location and then duplicating it to this offsite location so you have two copies of it all in different locations.

macpiano
Level 6

To the responder questioning storage 25 miles away.

1. We are school district with no archival of records necessary. Our payroll etc, student accounting, email are all done by the state. I am keeping a 26 week backup retension on the dedupe folders. Most of the data are files created by the users.

2. Even if a catastophe happened to the facility 25 miles away the data is still on the original servers. If a catastrophe happened to the servers then the reverse would be true. If both facilities were destroyed, well we have a bigger problem.

3. Your Iron Mountain truck could get destroyed taking tapes to the facility or the facility itself storing the tapes could get destroyed. Tapes are notorious for having drop outs etc.

4. We are planning on moving our SANs with the dedupe folders to the same data centers that the state uses for their servers, etc. From there will have a 10 gig connection between their 2 data centers which are 50 miles apart and we will be replicating between them.

5. I don't see any difference with what I'm doing than you're doing except that I don't have to pay someone to pull tapes out and then pay someone to pick them up etc. The backed up data is sitting somewhere other than the server room where the orginal data lives. It's just that instead of a truck moving the data to another site a fiber wire is.

CraigV

...keep it off the forum. Stick to the topic at hand.