cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Backup data copy job": copy latest job

Ross_McKerchar
Level 3
Hi,

I'm trying to implement a new backup strategy which involves taking full backups nightly onto a backup-to-disk folder.

However, I would also like take a daily copy of the latest backup and copy it onto some removable storage for added protection.

My primary problem is: using the "Backup data copy job" I can't figure out a way to copy the "latest" job, as opposed to a specific one. Is this possible or will I have to setup a matching copy job for every full backup job?

As an aside, where is the most efficient place to connect the offline storage too? If I connect it straight to the server that actually holds the data, will the backupexec server simply tell the storage computer to copy the data straight to the attached external hard disk, or will all the data go via the backupexec server? I'm asking as I want to avoid copying a lot of data over the network during business hours. Ideally if I connected the external hdd to the computer that stores the data I'd like to bypass the network and copy straight to the disk.

thanks for all your help.

-ross
3 REPLIES 3

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technote.
Title:
How to configure duplicate jobs in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x / 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096

Also please note that the storage device needs to be attached the Media Server.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ross_McKerchar
Level 3
Thanks,

I'd ideally like to create a scheduled job to duplicate the last job.

Duplicating straight after a job is similar but not quite the same as I need - however I may have to settle for that if it's our only option.

thanks,

-ross

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
We (the user community) have been asking since at least v7.0 for the ability to specify the latest volume in a given media set, rather than a specific volume.

This option hasn't appeared yet (as of v10).

You could probably script up something using BEMCMD, but it probably would not be a trivial job.