cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Error loading machine specific Intelligent Disaster Recovery information."

buck614
Level 4

I am having a computer that is generating a Failed state on a backup. It says it has failed on the system state with the following error:
"Error loading machine specific Intelligent Disaster Recovery information.  Error: 1392 The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I believe this is a result of the Disaster recovery information. The system state actually seems fine. I did a custom job to back up the system state and it did not fail.

So,

I moved the .dr file out of the directory and re-ran a full backup. It failed once again with the same error,"Error loading machine specific Intelligent Disaster Recovery information.  Error: 1392 The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

It did not create a new .dr file either.

Two questions,
1. Should it have recreated a new .dr file
2. Do I need disaster recovery? I mean system state is backed up to the tape isn't it? What is disaster recovery for?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I think you should go back to basics.

1) For the primary IDR path specify C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\Data\

2) Blank out the secondary IDR.  You can add it in later when the problem is resolved.

3) Delete C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\

4) Run your backup.

5) If your problem is resolved, delete the folder for the secondary path and then create an empty folder.

6) Add in the secondary IDR path to BE.

7) Run your backup

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should delete the entire idr directory.  Your next backup job will re-create it when it writes the latest .dr file.  If you are using a secondary path for your idr files, you should detete that directory too.

The .dr file is for you to create the IDR ISO image which can be burned onto a CD.  This recovery CD will automate the recovery process.  When you need to restore a server, you boot up the server with the IDR recovery CD that is created with the .dr file from the latest backup and it will automatically restore the server for you.  Of course, you can manually restore the server without using he IDR recovery CD.

buck614
Level 4

Thanks for the great info!

I do use a custom directory ... set up before my time, so I went ahead and backed up the folder to the desktop and deleted it. Does it only get recreated on a full backup?
I'll let you know what happens.

Is the .dr and image? How do I create an ISO with it? It is very very small, less than a Megabyte in size.

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I do use a custom directory

Do you use the custom directory for the primary path or the secondary?  Go to Tools ---> Options -  Intelligent Disaster Recovery to check.  If you use a custom directory for the primary path (1st path), then I am not sure whether it will be recreated.  I left the primary path as the default which is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\Data\.  I know that if you delete C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\, it will be recreated the next time there is full backup.  If you are using a custom directory for the primary path, I suggest that you create an empty one before the next backup.

Is the .dr and image? How do I create an ISO with it?

To create your IDR ISO image, go to Tools ---> Wizards --- Intelligent Disaster Recovery Preparation Wizard and follow the instructions.

I suggest that you read the Intelligent Disaster Recovery section of the Admin Guide.

buck614
Level 4

Create an empty one? An empty folder or file?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I think you should go back to basics.

1) For the primary IDR path specify C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\Data\

2) Blank out the secondary IDR.  You can add it in later when the problem is resolved.

3) Delete C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\

4) Run your backup.

5) If your problem is resolved, delete the folder for the secondary path and then create an empty folder.

6) Add in the secondary IDR path to BE.

7) Run your backup

buck614
Level 4

Sorry. So many questions I know.

I will do what you said above.However, I never had an IDR folder on the c drive. I now have the primary IDR path set to what you specified above but I want to make sure Backup Exec will re-create the IDR\Data directory or do I have to create the folders?

Thanks for your help.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Sorry.  I was some time since I solved this problem.  Having thought about it a little bit more, you have to re-install IDR after Step 3 in my earlier post.

To re-install IDR, go to Tools ---> Install Options.... and then uncheck the IDR option.  After the BE services are restarted, go to Tools ---> Install Options.... and then check the IDR option to install IDR.  After this, the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\ should be created by BE.  You don't have to create it.

buck614
Level 4

Uncheck the IDR option? Where is that ... I don't see that checkbox. All I have under IDR are two paths I can set. No checkbox.

buck614
Level 4
Is that in a different options page?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To re-install IDR, go to Tools ---> Install Options and License Keys on this media server and then uncheck the IDR option.  After the BE services are restarted, go to Tools ---> Install Options and License Keys on this media server and then check the IDR option to install IDR.  After this, the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\ should be created by BE.  You don't have to create it.

buck614
Level 4
It looks like it created the directory on an incremental run without having to re-install IDR. I'll let you know how my full backup goes. Thansk!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do you get your original error when your incremental run?

Did BE create the .dr in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\Data\ directory?

buck614
Level 4

It created the directory and I had no errors. Looks like it is fixed. Thanks for all your help!