cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Microsoft Information Store" is not snappable

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
Hi

I have a client that keeps getting the same error when backing up.  There is nothing for the error "No Exact Matches found for: V-79-57344-34055".  The full error is below.

V-79-57344-34055 - Note: Resource: "Microsoft Information Store" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume.
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008507): The volume cannot be snapped because the logical volume name cannot be found. Check the backup selection list and make sure that this selection is valid.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Any clues anyone?

Running Win2008 SBS x64, Backupexec 12.5
18 REPLIES 18

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Make sure you have the license installed for the exchange on the BE server. Try to expand the selection list and see if you are able to see the IS. Try to restart the services for BE and check if you are able to see the IS if not so then make sure to uninstall and install the license for exchange.

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
Yes, I can expand the Information Store, restarted the IS and running SBS license for Veritas so everything is licensed and installed.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Gordon,

Have you updated the Backup Exec installation with all the latest patches?
Which version of Exchange is this as well? If Exchange 2003, don't use AOFO...turn it off, and then try again.
I have also attached a link for you to read up on...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/351534.htm

Laters!

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
Running SBS 2008 with Exchange 2007 - so I guess the URL above doesn't apply?

sksujeet
Level 6
Open the job and click on selection details - remove the IS store from there and check it again from the selection details. Also make sure you are selecting the complete IS to backup. Try the backup again.

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
I have already done the remove and re enter.  The backup works fine if you remove IS and then breaks when you add it back in again!!

sksujeet
Level 6
On the exchange server try vssadmin list writers and check if all the writers are stable.
As you said "The backup works fine if you remove IS and then breaks when you add it back in again!!"

What do you mean by that, does it work if you just backup the IS in the selection list as alone.
When the job fails please look into the event viewer and put the error here if any. Have you tried rebooting the exchange server and tried the backup again.

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
OK - I was just trying to get the exchange backup working first but I get this as the whole error message:

Backup- \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
V-79-57344-34055 - Note: Resource: "Microsoft Information Store" is not snappable. Attempting to ba...
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008507): The volume cannot be snapped because the logical volume name c... Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Backup- SERVER
V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used:...
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. Writer Name: Active Directory, Writer ID: {B2014C9E-8711-4C5C-A5A9-3CF384484757}, Last error: The VS... Writer Name: Automated System Recovery, Writer ID: {BE000CBE-11FE-4426-9C58-531AA6355FC4}, Last erro... Writer Name: Certificate Services, Writer ID: {6F5B15B5-DA24-4D88-B737-63063E3A1F86}, Last error: Th... Writer Name: COM+ Class Registration Database, Writer ID: {542DA469-D3E1-473C-9F4F-7847F01FC64F}, La... Writer Name: Internet Information Services, Writer ID: {2A40FD15-DFCA-4AA8-A654-1F8C654603F6}, Last ... Writer Name: Internet Information Services, Writer ID: {59B1F0CF-90EF-465F-9609-6CA8B2938366}, Last ... Writer Name: Registry, Writer ID: {AFBAB4A2-367D-4D15-A586-71DBB18F8485}, Last error: The VSS Writer... Writer Name: System Files, Writer ID: {E8132975-6F93-4464-A53E-1050253AE220}, Last error: The VSS Wr... Writer Name: SYSVOL, Writer ID: {D76F5A28-3092-4589-BA48-2958FB88CE29}, Last error: The VSS Writer t...

I have restarted the server and got the VSSadmin to say no error and it still does the same thing.

Not tried just backing up the IS - going to run just an IS backup now..  It is odd that none of the system state errors came Friday's backup - I just got the IS error.  Then, Monday, I get the IS and System State errors.

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
Tried all of the above now.  Even defraged both Exchange DBs as well to see if corruption was causing the error.

Here is last nights error:

Backup- \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
V-79-57344-34055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open Fi...
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008507): The volume cannot be snapped because the logical volume name c... Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Backup- System?State
Media mount failed.
User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation. V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user. 

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix the error please?

sksujeet
Level 6
are you doing the backup on tape if so then try to do the backup on disk. Also it is something in windows as it is not able to create the snapshot. Have you installed Hyper-v on the server. Also do you have any other snapshot provider on the server.
type this command on the cmd prompt
vssadmin list providers
give the output.
Was it working ok before and then suddenly stopped working, what changes are done on the server that might have caused it

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
Also, just looked at the Job Log and the First Storage Group backs up fine - it is the Second Storage Group that comes back with the error.

Set type : Backup Set status : Completed Set description :
Resource name          : \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group
Logon account          : System Logon Account
Encryption used        : None
Error                  : e0008507 - The volume cannot be snapped because the logical volume name cannot be found. Check the backup selection list and make sure that this selection is valid.
Agent used                     : Yes
Advanced Open File Option used : Yes

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
Just looked again through the event logs and came across this error:

Adamm Mover Error: MoverDeviceIo::Write - m_wrapper.WriteData failed!
Error = ERROR_END_OF_MEDIA
Drive = "HP 3"
    {C9925D5A-1CDC-4AD8-B8BA-342D218FC048}
Media = "4MM000008"
    {6D53F866-AB0B-4687-B69E-EA87B396B908}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)

Looks like the tape is full.  It is not asking for a second tape though!!  AH!!

sksujeet
Level 6
check if your second storage group is emplty, if it is not empty and you are getting the error message only on one of the storage group then there would definately be something in the exchange store itself that might have gone corrupt.
Have you tried mounting and dismounting of that store.

CraigV
Hi Gordon,

What happens when you create a normal backup job and try run a backup of Exchange?

Gordon_McKee
Level 3
Just running a system system backup and full exchange back up of both IS to see what happens  Will post back when it is finished - one IS is 20GB!!

I did a defrag of both IS last night and they both mount and dismount fine.

dirk_
Level 2
Hello, i get the same error as Gordon since last sunday when i run a differential backup job of our exchange server. I use Backup Exec 12.5 since two weeks to backup our new exchange 2007 server (OS: windows 2008 server r1 64bit). There are no problems with other servers and applications, just the exchange server makes problems. The first week i had no problems, i made the first fullbackup and then five differantial backups without any errors. Last saturday the second full backup was performed successfully and then, since sunday, the differential jobs don't work and i get the same error messages as Gordon does. My Backup Exec Server and the client agents are up to date. A restart of both, backup and exchange server didn't help. I also deselected the exchange information stores and re-added them from the backup selection list. I started a fullbackup job manually this morning and it completed successfully! After the manual fullbackup, i started a differential backup, but it failed again. Here are some informations from my job definition and the error messages. I have an installation in german language and so the messages etc. are in german, sorry for that. Job definition Exchange - Differential Backup: Advanced Open File Option Advanced Open File Option benutzen: Nein Advanced Disk-based Backup "Sicherung auf einem anderen Host" verwenden, um den Sicherungsvorgang vom Remote-Computer auf den Medienserver zu verlegen: Nein Microsoft Exchange Exchange Server-Backupmethode: Differenzial - Protokolle Mailbox-Backup-Methode: Vollständig - Nachrichten sichern - Archivbit zurücksetzen Transaktionsprotokolle andauernd mit Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server sichern: Nein Wiederherstellung einzelner E-Mail-Nachrichten und -Ordner von Sicherungen des Informationsspeichers aktivieren: Ja Single Instance-Sicherung für Anlagen aktivieren: Nein Bei Verwendung des Snapshot-Providers von Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Konsistenzprüfung vor dem Backup durchführen: Nein Error messages from thebackup job: Endgültiger Fehler: 0xe0008507 - Von dem Datenträger kann kein Snapshot erstellt werden, da der Name des logischen Datenträgers nicht gefunden wurde. Überprüfen Sie die Backup-Auswahlliste, und stellen Sie sicher, dass diese Auswahl gültig ist. Endgültige Fehlerkategorie: Ressourcenfehler Zusätzliche Informationen zu diesem Fehler finden Sie unter der Verknüpfung V-79-57344-34055 Sichern- \\SERVERNAME.DOMAIN\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-34055 - Hinweis: Von Ressource "Microsoft Information Store" kann kein Snapshot erstellt werden. Es wird versucht, die Sicherung direkt vom Quelldatenträger durchzuführen. Fehler im Snapshot-Provider (0xE0008507): Von dem Datenträger kann kein Snapshot erstellt werden, da der Name des logischen Datenträgers nicht gefunden wurde. Überprüfen Sie die Backup-Auswahlliste, und stellen Sie sicher, dass diese Auswahl gültig ist. Ausführliche Angaben finden Sie in der Windows-Ereignisanzeige. Windows eventlog: Protokollname: Application Quelle: VSS Datum: 26.05.2010 14:25:14 Ereignis-ID: 8224 Aufgabenkategorie:Keine Ebene: Informationen Schlüsselwörter:Klassisch Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend Computer: SERVERNAME.DOMAIN Beschreibung: Der VSS-Dienst wird aufgrund eines Leerlaufzeitlimits heruntergefahren.

CraigV
Any news here Gordon?

CraigV
Any news here Gordon?