cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full backup of this database"

GrandmasterPhil
Level 2
Hello everyone,

Running BEv12.

I am receiving the following errors when attempting to do differential backups on 2 different databases (on different servers):
Backup- servername.mydomain.com
V-79-57344-33938 -
An error occurred on a query to database myDatabase.
V-79-57344-33938 - The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

I have verified that the SQL Agent was started and used to create a full backup of these databases.  I even manually ran a full backup with AOFO disabled against these two databases manually after the error first occured, only to have the error happen again the next night. 

Also, other databases on these servers are not throwing this error.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

GrandmasterPhil

Message Edited by GrandmasterPhil on 03-06-2008 09:38 AM
10 REPLIES 10

Donovan_Lewis
Level 2
I've been receiving the exact same error for several customers. The issue begun occurring immediately after Live Update installed the most recent Hot Fixes for BEWS 11.0.7170. The HotFixes were 36, 38 & 39. The errors continue even after I successfully run a Full SQL backup job using the SQL Agent.

MPC
Level 2
I'm having the same issue, has anybody found a fix for this?

David_Kocmoud
Level 3
Ditto for me too.  This starting happening daily after I upgraded from BE 11d (7170) to BE 12 two weeks ago and performed an initial full backup.  The new agents are installed on the SQL servers and a full backup is performed on all SQL databases each weekend, but I still get these errors for just a few databases on two of my SQL servers (one is SQL 2000 SP4 and one is SQL 2005 64-bit SP2) when performing a differential or log file backup.  This is happening for both simple and full recovery model databases. The SQL server's event log shows that the integrity checks ran fine for the database, but there is no error entry concerning the databases that did not get backed up.

Oswaldo
Level 2
Hello,
Does anybody have found the fix for this problem? It is happening to me with BE 11 Rev. 7170 and I didn’t install any updates I just created a new database and its maintenance plan. After that I started getting the error for all databases so I ran a full backup that was completed ok and then I got the error just for databases BE_DLO and BEDB but today I got the error for all databases even tough yesterday the full backup was OK. I wonder if Symantec knows about the problem?

Oswaldo
Level 2
I found the fix for my problem and I hope it helps somebody else. The problem was caused by Hotfix 38 and 39, after I uninstalled both of them the differential backups worked perfect.

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Please review the following Technote, as it addresses these specific errors.

Oswaldo
Level 2

Greg,

I like to have an additional backup running just in case that my tape gets damaged. I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket; therefore, I don't want to stop the other backup. My problem was fixed uninstalling HotFix 38 and 39 but even though I disabled automatic LiveUpdate the HotFixes were installed automatically last week so my backups failed again this week. Is there a way to stop HotFix 38 for being installed? Or a way to stop LiveUpdate until we get the patch?

Thank you,

Oswaldo

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From the TechNote:

To obtain the beta fix and resolve the issue please contact Symantec Technical Support.  This document will be updated when an official hotfix becomes available.

Symantec Software has acknowledged that this issue is present in the current version(s) of the Backup Exec for Windows Servers software. Symantec Software is committed to product quality and satisfied customers. This issue has been resolved by way of a patch or hotfix to the current revision of the Backup Exec for Windows Servers software. If opening a support case is required to get this issue resolved then the charge for opening that case with Symantec Technical Support will be reimbursed.

or you could disable automatic update completely.  Do you really want anyone else (especially a giant software company with a history of shakey patches)  making changes to one of your servers?   Update only when you have a problem, and only what fixes your problem, with a Backout Plan in place  Or wait for a service pack.  They don't include new fixes, just roll-up existing fixes

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 04-03-2008 12:49 PM

Weasell
Not applicable
So, when will symantec release hotfix for this issue? We currently are testing sql backup on evolution copy of backup exec 12 therefore can't ask technical support to provide us with beta hotfix :\

pcbro
Not applicable
Hello

We upgraded to BEWS 12.0 Rev. 1364 few days ago and then installed Service Pack 1 and Hot Fixes 302981 and 302982. Our backup strategy for several SQL servers consists in full backups during the weekend and differential backups each working day. For sensitive databases we are also performing transaction log backups during working hours.

At the moment we are not able to do the differential/log backups for few databases as we must make normal SQL full backups nightly for transfers to other departments or test servers.

Is there any way to trick the agent into performing the backups no mather which agent made the last full backup?

Thank you in advance!

Message Edited by pcbro on 05-29-2008 02:33 AM