cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommended max amount of DLO computers on BE 10d media server?

Peter_Olofsson
Level 4
Hi everybody

I've been looking around but can't seem to find any recommendations
regarding maximum amount of DLO computers being handled by a single
media server running Backup Exec 10d.

We've done a small pilot and if it gets approved by the decision makers we will probably roll this out on our laptop users, a couple of hundred computers.

Is the DLO even designed to handle this amount of load?

Perhaps it's a hardware issue? I mean, what will happen when I deploy a change to a profile for, say, 100 computers. Is it a CPU intensive operation, memory or bandwidth?

What about the MSDE that BE runs on?
I doubt it's designed to handle that amount of load, but perhaps the DLO doesn't put that heavy a load on it?

I know there's a DLO for Netbackup as well, but I know next to nothing about that product.
Is it the same function as DLO for Backup Exec?
If it is, is it better suited for our needs?

Thanks
/Peter
1 REPLY 1

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

The number of Desktop Agents that can successfully back up to one DLO installation depends on many factors. Multi-client testing of DLO has found that when there are more than 400 clients attached to a DLO server running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, file operations may begin to fail when Paged Pool memory runs out. For this reason, it is not recommended to configure DLO to run more than 400 concurrent backups of this size.

For more information refer BE Admin manul:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279401

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.