cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

relabelling media required

dale_Long
Level 2
Until a few months ago, everything worked without a problem. sorry, I can't remember what we might have done - maybe upgrade to 9.1 from 9.0?

At the present time, I need to relabel the media everyday. If I don't then when Veritas tries to run the backup job, it ejects the media gives an error message stating that I need to insert the media. Of course, if I re-insert the media, or stick in another tape, it does the same thing. I have to cancel the job, stick in the tape, and re-label it, then run the job.
7 REPLIES 7

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

please check the overwrite protection period and append period with the help of the technotes below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Also check for any alerts that you receive.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

dale_Long
Level 2
Our default settings:

Media Overwrite protection is set to none.

Overwrite recyclable before scratch.

The logs indicate no warnings or alerts.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

When does the media get ejected? Does it happen after the job finishes or half way through?
From job setup, right click on the job in question, go to the properties tab- destination device and media. Check if the option 'eject media after the job completes has been selected. If so, uncheck the option and then test the results.
Also look for alerts in the alerts tab.
If the problem persists,check the capacity of the media and the size of the job run. Make sure you are not targeting a job larger then the media capacity.

Hope the above helps. If not, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

dale_Long
Level 2
The media doesn't get ejected unless Veritas "can't read the tape", which means that I forgot to re-label it. If I re-label it, then the job completes successfully and waits for me to eject it to switch tapes. What is frustrating is that, I have to re-label it before Veritas will see it as a valid, writable tape.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Perform the inevntory of the media before using it and verify th eresult.

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

dale_Long
Level 2
Verification indicates that it is labeled properly. Often times, I will "inventory" the tape, it shows the proper label, I will then "label" the tape, it comes up with the label that was shown during the inventory process. I then just go through the process without having to change the label information.

This shows me that Veritas sees the tape and the label properly, but during the backup process it can't see the tape properly.

thanks

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Maybe BEWS wants an overwritable media.
Try quick erasing the tape in question and then firing a job on it.

Regards,
Ashutosh