cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replace usb drive

Piraat
Level 2

The USB externall drive I was using for backups died and so I got a new one. I read the instructions that said I should have used the hot swap wizard, but that was if I made the change while the old drive was working. I also am overdue for upgrading from my present version 11d to 12.5, which I have paid for but never installed. I am wondering if it would be better to upgrade first before installing the new drive. And whether or not I do, is there a procedure for installing the new drive that will retain my settings?
Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
is there a procedure for installing the new drive that will retain my settings?

Unless you installed to the USB Drive, the only thing there is data.  Upgrade should migrate everything forward 

am wondering if it would be better to upgrade first before installing the new drive.

I'd try to get every thing workoing first

Piraat
Level 2

Thanks for your help. It seems like I have to prepare the new drive somehow. I am not exactly sure of the folder structure of the old drive, do I have to duplicate it on the new one? There was a named media set, and when I look at media\(media set name), I get a listing of all the old backups. If I look at devices\ExternalDisk the path is I:\. Is there a way to specify the path so I can put the backups in a folder on that drive?
Thanks again

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
OK, now I understand

You just need to create a B2D device (folder) on the new USB drive.  This writes a couple of hidden files to the root of the mount point   After that you should be able to start writing backup data to it  (you may need to edit your jobs to point to the new device name)

Matt_Alexander
Level 5
Did Ken's suggestion do what you needed Piraat?