cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring Backup Exec 2010 tapes with recreated 256 common encryption key

Oxman
Not applicable
Accredited
I am attempting to do a disaster recovery at an off-site location using Backup Exec 2010 (not on domain). Using a standalone server, with single LTO4 drive. I was given the pass phrase and recreated the key using the same name as the original. I have set the key to match as common access and 256-bit AES, and I set the key as default.

I have inventoried all the media from one of the sets I am working with, but when I attempt to catalog the set starting from the first tape I get the following error message:

Backup set #1428 on storage media #6
Backup set description: "SHARE Backup Full"
The encryption key required by this set (key name: Company Key) cannot be retrieved. To Catalog this set, click Tools, click Encryption Keys, and then create a key using the same pass phrase and encryption type as the original key.
(You must close this message before you can go to the Tools menu.)
(When running the Central Admin Server Option, keys must be created on the media server that is running the job.)
After you add the key, go to the Alerts pane, open this alert again, and then click Yes to retry operation for the set. Otherwise, you can click No to skip to the next set, or click Cancel to terminate the job.
So it seems like Backup Exec does not like the key I have set as default. Do any of you have experience with Encryption keys or what might be causing this alert/error message?

I have confirmed the pass phraseis correct from the administrator that performed the backup.
3 REPLIES 3

DrewJenner
Level 3

Hi Oxman,

Did you get to the bottom of this we are having the same problem in a very similar scenario.

PHTS
Level 0

Same issue here.  Did any of you find an answer for this? 

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why can't you open a new forum discussion by stating your issue with all the details?

The original thread here was opened long back and most users may not be viewing this.

If you open new discussion, it will get proper attention of the users and you will get some help in resolving your issue.

Thanks....