cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring a sql database from another server

Rockitman
Level 4

I have 2 Microsoft SQL servers,   both running SQL2005 on Windows 2003 servers.    I have retired the older SQL server and have a full backup prior to retiring it.  

We now need a database from that tape and I was hoping I could do a restore with this tape inserted into my other SQL server.    Both servers run Backup Exec 12.5

Can somebody give me detailed instructions on how to do this?

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can use SQL re-direction to restore the database from the other server.  See page 1306 of the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Please check this link

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restore-i-redirect-restore-sql-database-another-machine

Thanks

Rockitman
Level 4

Thank you for the instructions.   Unfortunately,  it appeared to be running fine but errored out after a couple of minutes with the error    "Backup failed with 0xe0008443 - One or more SQL Database consistency checks have failed".

Oh well.   Guess i'm not getting this database back.

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

So your issue is with backup of SQL databases or doing restore which exactly is out of this

Please try this link too for database consistency check

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43449

Thanks

Rockitman
Level 4

I'm sorry,  but your link is very confusing and does not help me to fix my problem.   Why would creating a new maintainence plan in SQL cure this condition?

I am trying to simply restore a SQL database from a now extint SQL server to another SQL server via tape.  Both use BE 12.5.  Both have LTO drives.  Why should this be so danged hard to do?

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

On your earlier post I had replied with that link your earlier post was this about backup error & not restore

Thank you for the instructions.   Unfortunately,  it appeared to be running fine but errored out after a couple of minutes with the error    "Backup failed with 0xe0008443 - One or more SQL Database consistency checks have failed".

You had mentioned backup so if your restore is failing please post the job log & error in application tab of sql server so that can help you with right direction

Thanks