cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotating media sets

kevinkaseykizer
Level 2
I have BE 11d for winderz server and it's connected to a tape library. I created a backup job and a policy. but i just cant figure out how i would rotate between 2 different media sets.

I created 2 different jobs each job used a different media set. Job 1 runs monday - friday using media set 1, job 2 runs mon - fri using media set 2. I used the sceduler in the policy to select every other week for the jobs but selecting anything on "last week" for the month, sometimes creates a job from both job1 and job2 on that day.

Please help me figure out how i am supposed to use 2 media sets and just alternate them every other week. (doing full backups)

thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Why would you want to create two jobs and two media sets to backup the same data on the same Mon-Fri schedule

kevinkaseykizer
Level 2
you must not understand what i am trying to explain

i am alternating the media sets each week

week 1 = media set 1

week 2 = media set 2

week 3 = media set 1

week 4 = media set 2

how the heck do i do this using the schedule in the policies?

Patrick_Hakes
Level 3
I think you are making this way too difficult all for rotating media sets.  I used the Policy creation wizard on BE and just created a GFS policy.  The media rotation is fairly simple.  Daily backups have a retention period of 6 days, thus they do not get overwritten until after 6 days is up.  This assures me that yesterdays daily does not get wiped out with todays.  If I only used 7 tapes, that means the 7th tape at the end of 6 days is the only tape that will be used.  Doing it this way (setting your overwrite protection) will cycle your tapes.  You can set your tape retention to 28 hours and then that first tape will not be used until that 28 hour period elapses from the time it is first grabbed.  One job, one point of administration, and one media set to administer (yes...one media set, but with an overwrite period set on it).

I hope this helps you.

Steve_Mullenix
Level 4
Why are you using the last week under Schedule? What doesn't work if you set job 1 to use week 1/3 and job 2 to use week 2/4?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I understand, but my question remains - Why?

Why not just create  one job (or set of jobs) and one media set.  Run the same job(s) each week, and let BackupExec manage the tapes

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can set your tape retention to 28 hours and then that first tape will not be used until that 28 hour period elapses from the time it is first grabbed. 

Almost

OPP is calculated from the time that the backupset is CLOSED
APP is calculated from the time that the backupset is OPENED

Patrick_Hakes
Level 3
I always get those two mixed around....thanks. :)