cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scsichng.sys not starting

tux-attack
Level 2

I'm working on a client's system that has a Dell 124 changer. Backup Exec only recognizes the unit as a stand alone and not a robotic library. I've been working through KB# 255501 (http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501) I believe the problem is that the SCSIChanger in not starting. Everything else looks ok. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the "Enable Robotic Library support" option, but the SCSIChanger will not start.

I'm pretty close to uninstalling Backup Exec from the system and reinstalling it. I'd like to know if there is anything else I can try. 

Thanks

Backup Exec Details:

Version: 10.0.5484 w/SP5

SCSICHNG.SYS Details:

Modified: 9-18-2003 7:23:52 PM

Version: 3.50.807.1 

Windows Details:

OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition

Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name SERVER

System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation

System Model PowerEdge 2850

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A02, 1/19/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"

User Name Not Available

Time Zone Pacific Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 4,095.08 MB

Available Physical Memory 2.26 GB

Total Virtual Memory 5.83 GB

Available Virtual Memory 4.27 GB

Page File Space 2.00 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Tape Changer Details:

Dell PowerVault 124 T w/ DTL VS160

Plugged into an Adaptec 39160 SCSI card 

6 REPLIES 6

tara
Level 3
Did you ever get this to work?  I am having the exact same problem!  Any help is greatly appreciated!

tux-attack
Level 2
I haven't been able to solve the problem. I'm going to reinstall as soon as I can coordinate with the client.

tara
Level 3
What SCSI adapter are you using?  I wonder if the problem lies in that I am using an old SCSI adapter.

tux-attack
Level 2
It's plugged into an Adaptec 39160. It's the only device that's connected to that card.

tara
Level 3
Mine is an Adaptec 29320.  We are going to try purchasing another SCSI card to see it that does the trick.  I am trying to get my Veritas Backup Exec to see the robotic library of our HP 1/8 autoloader.  The BIOS of the server and the OS see both the drive and the autoloader (medium changer), but there is not listing in Device Manager under Plug and Play devices (hidden from view) for the SCSIchanger.  It has to be started for the Verias software to detect the robotics.  We are going to purchase a SCSI card from HP.  One that is recommended for the HP 1/8 autoloader.  I will let you know how it turns out.

tara
Level 3

Problem solved without purchasing another SCSI card.

I upgraded to Backup Exec 11D.

I am really big on hacking through the registry when all else fails to see if I can find any issues or maybe something that points me in the right direction. I don't really want to change anything in a registry in a production environment, so I am also really big on testing in a test environment before installing anything in a production environment.  If you don't know what you are doing in a registry, then skip that part.

In the registry (regedit), I specifically looked for the "SCSIChanger" key(s).  Under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SCSIChanger, there is s key called "VSDLoadTable". If you open this key, it lists all the Robotic Libraries that your current version of Veritas detects.  My HP 1/8 G2 autoloader was not listed. 

Knowing that the SCSIChanger and scsichng.sys files are only installed on the server when the "Enable robotic Library" is selected when Veritas is installed, I realized that my version of Backup Exec 10 (including 10.1, 10.5, and 10D, and earlier versions of BE) do not support my autoloader.  So I tried a series of upgrades to 10.1 or 10D and 10.5. Nothing worked until I upgraded to 11D.

Finally, 11D started the SCSIChanger and recognizes the autoloader as a robotic library in the Backup Exec software.

So the two most important parts of trying to get the autoloader to be a robotic library and NOT a stand-alone are to have the Adaptec SCSI controller set to Multi LUNs in the SCSI controller BIOS for the SCSI ID that detects the tape drive (SCSI ID 4 in my case), and to have Backup Exec 11D installed.

I hope that this helps you.

-Tara