ahmedvienna
Level 2
Hello,

I have the following

VMware ESX 3.5.x
Virtual Center
VCB
Backup  Exec 12.5

I have been sucessful at backup whole virtual machines with out many issues.
However the issue becomes what if I want to backup individual drives ? I have the scenario where I know that some big sized drives (& pretty filled up too) are dormant and I do not want to back them up every time.

Does BE 12.5 does that ?.. I use to have Vizioncore and I was able to select individual drives for backup and the others for not backing up.

Everytime I try to select an individual drive it tells me :
"Not selectable for backup.  This item cannot be individually selected.  It must be selected as part of a group."

Any comments regarding this ?
2 REPLIES 2

piedrahitf
Not applicable

I have the following

VMware ESX 4.0.0

Backup  Exec 2010

I also have been sucessful at backup whole virtual machines with out many issues.
However the issue becomes what if I want to backup individual drives ? I want to backup individual vmdks on our exchange server 2010 and it does not show the VMDKs, and for the rest of machines, I see the VMDK listed but not available for selection (or deselection)

Does BE 2010 does that ?.. Everytime I try to select an individual drive it tells me :
"Not selectable for backup.  This item cannot be individually selected.  It must be selected as part of a group."

teiva-boy
Level 6

No, you must back up the entire virtual machine, you cannot select just a single drive out of a machine.

You could always just do a traditional backup of Exchange, backing up ONLY the Exchange components.