Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server 2008R2 VSS SLOWWWWWW (no errors)

Judh
Level 4

Backup Server: 2008R2 Backup Exec 2010 R3, houses Hyper-V Servers as well

Problem Server: 2008R2

Backup of server takes 11 hours (Normally should take 2-3 hours), Throughput on backup reports normal 1800-2000MB/s, but there are gaps of time inbetween C, D, Shadow Volume, System State. Snapshot processing appears to stall for 2 hours inbetween each give or take.

If I edit the backup job and try to look at system state and Shadow Volume, it will open them, after 10-20 minutes. (opening C or D and utility partition is normal)

VSSadmin List writers takes 10-20 minutes to report, no errors reported.

There are no Event Log errors.

I have tried the Reregistering of VSS DLLs, which worked until the next reboot.  The results of the DLL reregister seemed to just kill vss , which resolved the long backup time problem, but left vss dead Till it came back alive on a reboot.

I have done searching for this problem, of the searches there are many, but most if not all are reporting errors of some kind, but nothing on just plain slow vss.  and any resolutions to the slowness appear to be related to the VSS DLL reregister which has mixed results and mixed answers as to IF it should be done on a 2008R2 server.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...looks like a Known Issue, although with Win2K8:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issue/performance-issues-maybe-observed-when-backing-system-state-windows-2008-server

Vote it up if this fits your issue...read the comments on this too!

Thanks!

Judh
Level 4

That article refers to Backup Exec 2010 R3 being the resolution to the issue of slow backup throughput, which Isn't exactly the issue I have, and we have been on R3 for over a year now.  This issue just started a few months ago. 

I am loathe to reinstall backup exec as it seems to be something related to server 2008R2 and not the backup software.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well BE 2010 R3 SP3 is out...have you downloaded this and  push-installed to your remote servers?

Thanks!

Judh
Level 4

Investigating SP3 now, but from the technotes it doesn't note any of the issues I am having, and it is a rollup of all the hotfixes the server already has.  I will install it and see if that has any effect.