cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup backup job and media

Bryan_Acain
Level 4
Hi,

The server is running BE10d installed and medium changer on it. We are setting up backup daily with corresponding assigned tape. My question is how to setup this.

10 (8mm) tapes loaded in the medium changer(auto loader)

week1:

Monday1
Tuesday1
Wednesday1
Thursday1
Friday1

week2

Monday2
Tuesday2
Wednesday2
Thursday2
Friday2

Question:
1. Do I need to setup backup job for each tape?
2. If only one backup job assigned for all tapes how to setup that it will get the right tape ( ex. if the day is monday would it be possible to the auto loader to load the monday tape into the drive?)
3.The media will rotate every 2 weeks

appreciate your inputs.

happy holidays

null
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
First of all you'll need partition the slots within the library so that you can point a job to the specific slot you require, then you'll need to create an individual job for each of the 10 days, with each jobs pointing to it's specific slot.

If you just have one job and the library not partitioned then Backup Exec will select the media to use based on the time since it was last allocated, eg the oldest tape will go first. In theory you'd think this would allow you to do it easily, but in practice it doesn't take long with the occasional hiccup with your backups before the backups are out of order and you no longer have a reliable system.

On the good side, if you make sure you go through Tools, Options with Backup Exec before creating any of the jobs you can set a lot of the options to be default, then create one selection list which will be used by all your backup jobs, so when you actually create the jobs themselves, the only two things you should need to configure individually is the slot that the tape will use, and the backup schedule for that job.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Is the issue resolved?

Thanks

Bryan_Acain
Level 4
created a media set and individual job pointing to the tape assigned

media set 1 ----> monday tape ----> backup for monday

I run the monday job but it didn't pickup the monday tape.

any ideas why didn't worked or any ideas how to setup this things

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
So when you say the job is pointed to the monday tape I assume you mean you've created the partition and pointed the job at that partition?

When you inventory the library is the monday tape showing up as blue (available for overwriting) or black (overwrite protection still active)? If you've used the tape before with a different media set then the overwrite protection period may still be set, which will then prevent you from using the tape. I don't think you really need to worry about creating multiple media sets since all the tapes will use the same overwrite protection period, but if you are using a different one from before then I'd suggest moving all the existing tapes into the Scratch media pool, which will then clear any existing overwrite protection they may have, and make sure they are all then available for use. Once you've done that you should be able to run the backup job successfully.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can partition the library.

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262055

Regards,