cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

share external tape drive

jack_hummer_2
Level 2
I have external Exabyte VXA-2 PacketLoader attached to one Win2003 server. I would like to daisy-chain this to a second server (making sure the second scsi controller is set to a unique ID). Can each machine then backup independantly to the drive (at different times of day of course)? Can I tell one machine, for example, to just use slots 1,2,3 and the other machine to use slots 4,5,6? Thanks.

Jack
8 REPLIES 8

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
No, that won't work. You can't have two controllers on the same SCSI bus.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

When tape drives are connected in a daisy chain fashion and if the
operating system (OS) detects that then Backup Exec can communicate with
these drives. There are no known issues with tape drives in daisy chain and
Backup Exec.

If our understanding regardarding your issue is incorrect please elaborate.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Deepali Badave

R_H_2
Level 5
Technically, according to the SCSI spec, you can have more than one Host Bus Adapter on the same bus. It is called a multi host configuration.

However, I have NEVER (in many years of using SCSI) seen it work reliably. And I assume you want your backups to be reliable.

If you are going to try it, make sure to change the SCSI ID of one of the HBA's. And I would bet that you would need Veritas' Shared Storage Option (SSO)...

Don't be surprised when it doesn't work, though...

jack_hummer_2
Level 2
There is only one tape drive. Tis would be daisychained to two controllers, one in each machine.

R_H_2
Level 5
That is what I was talking about. Honestly, your best bet is to do a Disk to Disk across your network to the box that has the tape drive attached then put it to tape.

I wouldn't waste my time trying the daisy chain thing.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
My first thought about this configuration (two HBAs on the same bus) is -

What happens if both media servers run a tape job at the same time? Is the data mixed into one data stream to the tape? Does one job or the other fail?

As previously stated, if your backups are important to you (and they are, or you wouldn't be doing them with 3rd party software, right?) stay as far away from this setup as possible.

R_H_2
Level 5
What happens is that one of the SCSI initiators (the HBA's) will lock the device so commands from any other initiator are rejected.

I agree with Ken here. If reliable backups mean anything to you, stay away from this setup! There are plenty of better, FAR more reliable options that won't break your budget.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We apologise for the late response.

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Thanks.