cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

skipping dates assigned via schedule

ltjimster
Level 6

Hello,

I've got a scheduled job that is supposed to run a Full backup every 5 months but it shows up as running on the next date after what it should be.

It should be running end of November and its showing mid April next year which is the next backup for it to run.

why is it going to skip the date in november???

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it will automate your rule management for 1. However, you can also try setting specific dates in your current job under the Schedule --> Edit Schedule Details --> Specific Dates. This would allow you to set the specific dates on which your job runs every 5 months. That said, if you already have a job running on that Sunday, it's going to clash and cause an issue...this is where a policy would sort things out for you.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

MattiasA
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Please take a look at your exclude dates tab in the scheduler to see if you have accidentally marked the date as excluded.

Did you manually run the backup recently?
I might explain why BE doesn't think it will need to be run in November.

ltjimster
Level 6

No its not in the exclude tab.

it's not run since June which was the last backup scheduled.

James

CraigV

Hi James,

...and you've confirmed that November is indeed selected? Are you running a policy, and if so, are the rules correct? You'd need to rule them out as they could have 1 job taking preference over your November job...

Thanks!

ltjimster
Level 6

Hiyaaaa Craig,

Yes November is confirmed but i've had to select the dates individually because i can't choose a sunday every 5 months or anything like that and no i don't have a policy its just scheduled jobs, i think i might start doing a policy though.

Whats the advantage of a policy?

Thanks

James

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Advantages of a Policy:

If multiple jobs are using same selection list then you can group those jobs in a single policy which 

helps in the administration of the backup jobs. You can set rules for multiple jobs if you want to

create dependency.

CraigV

...it will automate your rule management for 1. However, you can also try setting specific dates in your current job under the Schedule --> Edit Schedule Details --> Specific Dates. This would allow you to set the specific dates on which your job runs every 5 months. That said, if you already have a job running on that Sunday, it's going to clash and cause an issue...this is where a policy would sort things out for you.

ltjimster
Level 6

I have specified dates when doing this sunday backup every 5 months and there are no other jobs running the same date.

So if i set up a policy, i have multiple jobs that backup the same data and every job goes to a different network storage box each day, also i have 10 different boxes with backup exec running daily backs from incredmental to full and the end of the week, so how would i set up a policy for that??

James

AmolB

Policy allows you to add multiples templates which has options of selecting different schedules and destination devices

ltjimster
Level 6

Ahh right, are they easy to set up or do i need to do some reading??

James

AmolB

Its simple enough... 

Refer to //www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135786

ltjimster
Level 6

So, at the moment i have about 20 plus jobs doing backups to a different box each night monday to friday, plus the occassional sunday backup, each box i've made has 4 folders inside which are called Full 1, Full 2, Inc 1, Inc 2.

So it says to go into Job Setup and make a new backup selection ( In my case i've not done that because i have loads already) and then modify one of the policies in the policy section, which there are 2 a Duplicate backup set and a Media Rotation, which would be best for me??

James 

ltjimster
Level 6

Hello again,

Just tried to make a policy and it asked me to do the monthly, weekly and daily templates, I went through it all and it create 3 separate job, 1 monthly, 1 weekly and 1 daily and there all on the same Device.

How do i do change it so i goes to a different box every night??

James

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Modify the template to change the targeted device before generating the jobs.

ltjimster
Level 6

How do you mean??, when i go through the Policy Wizard i get upto "Which device do you want to use for your daily backup", i would like to use multiple devices because i want to backup to a different Box every night and i have 10 boxes altogether, so should i just select All Devices(Servername)??

Thanks

James

pkh
   VIP    Certified

One template can only target one device. If you want to target 1 device each night, then you have to create 1 template for each night.

Alternatively, you can create a device pool which contains all your devices and target that device pool.  The drawback of a device pool is that the job will go down the list of devices and use the first device which is online.

ltjimster
Level 6

So really for what i want to do i'm no better off do a policy and this option might be pointless for me?

Thanks

James

CraigV

...it is worth a try. That's the simple answer wink

If it doesn't work, I will hit the support flag, but then I'd recommend you head on over to the Ideas section and add this in too...

ltjimster
Level 6

Yeah i suppose so, i'll have to make one policy with loads of templates within that policy, i suppose it might look tidy but i will soon find out :p

Thanks Fella's

James