cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

split jobs between two media servers

lampar
Level 4

I have Backup Exec 2014 on two media servers.

One has hidge disk storage, second one has a tape library.

Is it possible to run backup to the disk storage on one media server and duplicate it on the tape on another media server?

If YES, please let me know

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This cannot be done

View solution in original post

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I agree that it cannot be done with 2 stand-alone media servers with local storage.

But, yes, I suspect that it can be done if you add the ESO license option, but I haven't tried it myself.  One of your servers would become the CAS server and one would become a Managed Media Server (MMS).  This allows the two servers to share their catalog information.  Typically the ESO option is used to share fibre channel tape libraries on a SAN, but I think that it allows data to be restored or duplicated across servers.  You may also want or need to add the BE deduplication option license to the server with the disk storage.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...ESO has CASO, SAN SSO (used to share FC tape libraries across SAN-attached servers) and a bunch of other licenses rolled up into 1, so you get it either way.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This cannot be done

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I agree that it cannot be done with 2 stand-alone media servers with local storage.

But, yes, I suspect that it can be done if you add the ESO license option, but I haven't tried it myself.  One of your servers would become the CAS server and one would become a Managed Media Server (MMS).  This allows the two servers to share their catalog information.  Typically the ESO option is used to share fibre channel tape libraries on a SAN, but I think that it allows data to be restored or duplicated across servers.  You may also want or need to add the BE deduplication option license to the server with the disk storage.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...ESO has CASO, SAN SSO (used to share FC tape libraries across SAN-attached servers) and a bunch of other licenses rolled up into 1, so you get it either way.

Thanks!