cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transaction log backups contain no data

VeloTime
Level 4
When I run a transaction log backup the job runs successfully but it contains no data and the transaction logs do not truncate. The byte count for all three jobs I've ran always ends at 4,456.

SQL Server Managment Studio also show "Last Database Log Backup-None". It is showing "Last Database Backup-11/12/07" so it is seeing the BUExec full DB job from the night before.

I have the job set to "Full-Using archive bit" under the General settings. Under the SQL settings it's "Log-Backup Trans Log". I'm not using AOFO, which shouldn't be the issue... I can't see anywhere in the user guide stating this needs to be enabled.

Resource credintials test OK.

Am I missing anything?
Any ideas? I'm hoping I don't have to call support.

TIA

1 REPLY 1

VeloTime
Level 4
Well... this was due to a mistake on my part, but in my defence I think it could have been spelled out a bit more clearly in the admin guide.

where it states "To select SQL data, click the domain icon or icons that contain the SQL installations, and then click the actual computer icon that contains the SQL installations. If you are using a cluster server, make backup selections from virtual server." They should point out that you need to select the db associated with the ldf you want to backup from the SQL node, not the transaction log file itself.

From this I assumed you select the ldf file from the appropriate directory, not from the SQL node. I should have realized this, but it could be more clear in the admin guide.

Message Edited by Adam Stern on 11-13-2007 02:06 PM