cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unknown folder when restore data

ckli
Level 2

when I restore data . Why  unknown folder in view by resource ? 

Backup

backup

restore

restore

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Does it happen only for 1 server or all servers? Are you facing this issue only with UNIX ?

ckli
Level 2

I have 5 ubuntu server  , 4 server have this problem . just only 1 ubuntu server is ok . 

AmolB

I haven't seen this kind of an issue earlier, Also Ubuntu is not supported by Backup Exec.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2010 support Ubuntu 7.1 and 8.1

AmolB

Thanks PKH for the update, I guess the poster is using BE12.0 or BE12.5 in

which Ubuntu is not supported. I should have mentioned the version of BE, my bad.

Kenny-Knows-Stu
Level 4

Symantec started to support installation of  Remote agent for Linux on Ubuntu with BE 2010/2010R2 with the following 2 releases in the official compatibilty (tested ok), 

Ubuntu 7.10 ( 32bit and 64 Bit)

Ubuntu 8.10 ( 32bit and 64bit) 

Check the version of your ubuntu using  the follwing commands

lsb_release -a

or

cat /etc/lsb-release

This issue of gibbrish files in the restore can happen if the agent is not able to understand the file systems of the linux box while backup, you might want to check the file systems of the machines on which it is working

run the 

less /proc/mounts

command too check if its an ext2 ,ext3.ext4 or reiserFS as of now backup exec is not supporting ext4 and might give you unexpected results

fa98x41
Not applicable

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x32 works fine with Remote Agents. The problem only occurs with Ubunut > 10.04 x64

tuxifier
Not applicable

I ran into the same weird issue as ckli.

System information:

BackupExec 2010 R2

Ralus Agent:

ralus=4164.5
mdm=MDM_v0.0.5071
vxms=VxMS_v4.4-036

During my analysis of the issue I gathered the following results:

• The reason for the strange file names isn't the ext4 file system because backup/restore of files on ext4 works flawlessly under ubuntu-server 10.04 x32
  • The reason must be a feature/bug of the x64 Ralus agent in combination with ubuntu-server x64 in my case

Workaround:

• I deployed a ubuntu-server 10.04 x32 Version
  • I exported the / filesystem of the ubuntu-server 10.04 x64 via NFS and mounted it on the ubuntu-server 10.04 x32 machine running the 32bit RALUS agent.  

/etc/exports

/                  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX(ro,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

• I created a backup job in BackupExec to back up the mounted NFS share on the 32bit ubuntu server (enable follow remote mounts)
  • No scrambled file names - all good
  • Then I tried to do a  BE restore from the 32bit machine backup directly to the 64bit machine via the 64bit RALUS installed there which also worked without scrambling the file names

Dear Symantec can we expect a solution for that 64bit issue soon?

hth

tuxifier