cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vConverted server now doing Full Backup instead of Differentials ?

Myriad
Level 2
Hello.

I have a server that has a Direct Attached Storage array. The volume on this DAS was mapped to my Server as the I: drive, and was around 400GB.
Two nights ago, as part of an ongoing project, we used VMware convertor to convert this server to a virtual guest. As part of that process, we shrunk the 400GB I: Drive down to 250GB and it is now stored on the VMFS volume, rather than the DAS. We'll be decommissioning the DAS, but that's not relevant.

Our regular backup cycle with Backup Exec 10d has us doing a 'Full' type of backup every Friday night, and 'Differential (do not reset Archive Bit)' backups every other weeknight.
We're certain that no changes what soever have been made to the selection lists, or the job configurations.

What I have now noticed, is that since the conversion, our backups seem to be doing 'Full' backups of JUST THIS PORTION of the backup job.
A full backup normally entails about 300,000 files for this particular drive. A differential backup, prior to the conversion, would usually entail about 11,000 files. Since the conversion, the differential has been backing up about 300,000 files.. so a full backup. But ONLY for this particular server and drive.
The drive letter hasn't changed, nothing should have changed.

Does anyone have any insight as to why it might suddenly be needing to backup all of these files, when they haven't changed ?

0 REPLIES 0