cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot import or export tapes using Backup Exec 12.5 with Superloader 3 LTO-4

projhope
Level 3
Does anyone have a Superloader 3 LTO-4 autoloader that inserts and ejects tapes?

I have a brand new, right-out-of-the box Quantum Superloader 3 with a single LTO-4 drive and 16 slots. It has a SAS connection (not SCSI) to a Win Server 2003 running Backup Exec 12.5.
Prior to purchase I checked Symantec's Hardware Compatibilty List to verify that this Quantum autoloader was supported.  (The SCSI one is not, but the SAS is.)

Problem: I cannot eject (export) or insert (import) tapes into the autoloader using Backup Exec. The software will kick off the job with no errors, and think it was completed, but nothing happens. No action at all. And then the tape continues to appear in the same slot in BE as if nothing happened. Nothing in the event logs.
BE reads all the slots fine, can backup data, inventory, everything. Just can't move tapes into or out of the autoloader.

The autoloader itself is working, I can move tapes around between slots and in and out of the autoloader using the buttons and LCD screen on the face of the unit, as well as via the web interface.

Does anyone have a Superloader 3 LTO-4 that inserts and ejects tapes??
7 REPLIES 7

Philip_D
Level 5
I'm not familiar with that particular tape drive, but it appears from a quick glance at its webpage that it has a web admin console.  If it's anything like the Dell ML6020 that I use regularly, you can export and import tapes within the web console.  It's not a good permanent solution, but until you find a real fix, it could be the quick fix you need.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
When the import or export job runs, you aren't getting an alert asking you to put a tape in a slot or remove a tape from a slot?  An import or export should not complete, without an alert and user interaction, see if it is in the alerts tab, but no set to pop up.

projhope
Level 3
Yes, it does ask to put a tape in or to remove a tape, but there is no tape to remove and there is no way to insert the tape because the door is closed. Physically cannot insert the tape.

I am using the web interface as workaround.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
When Backup Exec requests that you insert or remove a media, you must use the LCD & buttons on the library or the web interrface to actually move the media to/from the mailslot.  That is the way that library is designed.

projhope
Level 3
Where is that documented?  
Quantum support told me it was a software problem on Symantec's end.

thank you

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
If the library is designed to do it for you, you get a message from Backup Exec requesting that you put/take the tape in/out of the PORTAL.
If the library expects you to do it, you get a message from Backup Exec requesting that you put/take the tape in/out of the SLOT (either manually or via an interface)
Which message are you getting?

Another way to tell is to look in the adamm.log file where it documents what type you have.  I expect you will see:
1st Slot Number   1
Number Of Slots   8
Portal Slots      0
Import/Export     Manual

projhope
Level 3
OK, when the alerts comes up it is useing teh term SLOT.

This makes sense.

Thanks.