cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

verify successful upgrade of remote agent...

accu-sym
Level 3
I have a simple one... how do I verify the remote agent install applied properly?  I'm running 12.0 with SP3 on the media server.  What version should beremote.exe be?  Other files?  Or is it sufficient to right-click the icon in the system tray and choose about?  If so, what version should that match up with on the media server?  TIA.
10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Right-clicking on the icon in the system tray is perhaps the easiest, but the best way to check from my side would be to do a push-install of the agent.
If it gives a message stating that the agent is already present and up-to-date, then the latest version is installed.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Also the release notes for each hotfix and service pack usually provide the file versions for changed files.

accu-sym
Level 3
 Well, that's part of the problem.  When I try the push install it fails.  

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
How many updates (.msp files) are located on the BE server in .../Backup Exec/Agents/RAWSxx/Updates?
If the push installer tries to apply more than about 8 updates, it will fail.
Try move all updates before the last service pack to a temporary location. If the remaining files are less or equal 8, try the push again.
If there are more, split into groups of max. 8 files and only leave one group in the directory while trying to run the push wizard.
If that was successful, put the moved files back and run it again.

best regards

Dominik

Chris_McSwain
Level 3
I did as you suggested and only attempted pushing <8 updates at a time...and it worked fine.  However, i'm puzzled as to why it wont work with more than 8 at a time.  Any thoughts? 

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
nice to hear, that I was able to help you.

the installer somehow gets a kind of buffer overflow.
It just cannot handle more files.

Chris_McSwain
Level 3
I spoke with a Tech Support agent yesterday about a problem I'm currently having and when I mentioned this issue to him, it was as if it was the first time he had heard it.  I was shocked.  So I mentioned it and his only reply was to install it manually or break it up into smaller packages as suggested above.  It appears they aren't wanting to fix this for some reason.  #FAIL

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Just because someone hasnt heard of it, doesnt mean that they dont want to fix it.  Your opinion FAIL.  

They will need more support cases, to find a trend, and have it be business impacting, before a patch is made to address the patch... ;)

Chris_McSwain
Level 3
I understand where you are coming from and yes, I'm sure that they can't nor shouldn't fix a problem (via patch, etc.) if it's isolated to a single or few clients.  However, if you do a search you'll find multiple people have had similar problems.  Infact some of which are on this very site.  I agree I shouldn't have...worded it the way that I did however; I did and I appologize for any misunderstanding that has accured b/c of it.  

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I think Symantec will fix it

You ask WHY?
here is the answer:

Funny, but this issue has been fixed before, and now seems to be back again. ;)
So i think they will  go for another investigation.

But to log support cases for it will be a good idea. The issue will get bigger attention if it pops up more often in support case queues.

best regards

Dominik