cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird double names in restore dialog - revisited

ttlop
Level 4

When trying to do a restore, i see lots of weird almost-similar double-names in that dialog.
If i backup "/var/files/..." on some server, then i might see these directories under /var/ in the restore:

files/
files/
fils/
fil/
fil/

I created a thread about this about a month ago (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/weird-double-names-restore-dialog),
and was told that an upgrade from 2010 R2 to R3 would solve this.

Now i have upgraded to: Version 13.0 Rev 5204
Also installed Service Pack 2.

I still see these double names...

Is it a problem with the BKF-files that R2 created (so that the issue will effectively be rotated out after a while)?

Or how do i _really_ solve this?

wbr / Alex
12 REPLIES 12

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Usually happens if un-supported Linux flavor/version...in certain cases, have seen successful backup/restores of such flavors, however the kernel version makes a difference too

ttlop
Level 4

The linux servers have Ubuntu 10.04 installed. Its the latest LTS from Ubuntu, which is quite a popular distribution.

I cant see how that (or even more the kernel version) would cause issues like these.

Saving the files in correctly named directories (and not duplicated) should have nothing to do with kernel version imho.

Is there really no way to fix this? Except downgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 (which seems to be "supported").

Too bad that Ubuntu 8.04 is 4 years old...

VJware
Level 6

have seen many a time whereupon kernel 3.x does not work but RALUS works with 2.6.x kernels (especially for Ubuntu, Debian distributions)

prolly, the difference between 8.04 and 10.04 is the kernel, maybe mistaken

ttlop
Level 4

I just tried installing RALUS on a test server with 8.04.

The first 2 tests did not show the double-name-problem. It has kernel 2.6.24.

The 10.04 server where i observe the problem has 2.6.32.

There just has to be some way to solve this.

How can this bug not have been fixed??

Hmm, perhaps trying to downgrade the kernel somehow.

And how about BE 2012.

Do those linux agents support Ubuntu 10.04 (and will soon support 12.04?)?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no Ubuntu support at all for BE2012.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

ttlop
Level 4

Yepp, under "Agent for Linux Compatibility" its clearly stated that at least Ubuntu 11.04 is supported.

Of course 12.04 cant be supported yet since it hasnt been released, but i sure hope it will work.

If only i could get my hands on that 2012-Beta...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Sorry.  I was looking at the Remote Media Agent for Linux Compatibility which is for RMAL support.

VJware
Level 6

Be 2010 supports only ubuntu 7.10 & 8.10, whereas 2012 supports 8.04, 10.04, 10.10 & 11.04

I have always seen these weird names during restore with an unsupported linux version / kernel version...

2012 should be GA by end of today, so would be worthwhile to install that build

ttlop
Level 4

GA = Generally Available?

Thats great if i'm guessing the acronym correctly.

I already sent an email to James McKey, so he can feel secure in ignoring my email then:)

ttlop
Level 4

Just wondering if there will be any beta available for download/test?

And also, when will it hit the stores? In sweden...

VJware
Level 6

Its out already...try this link - https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=133703

philweb
Level 2

i there,

If you need to run it on kernel 3.x, try patching the backup agent.

Basically you just have to flip 2 bits. I consider this modification as safe, as the failing function call had no effect on older linux kernel versions either.

I documented my solution here:

http://blog.redweb.at/2012/08/howto-backupexec-2012-linux-agent-and-kernel-3-0-debian/

Maybe someone at symantec reads this and considers removal or conditional call of the problematic call in the next agent release.

cheers,
Phil