cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding additional SQL nodes

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Having had a look at the Solutions Guide of SQL, I'm unclear on whether it's possible to add an additional node to an SQL cluster. The Exchange Solutions Guide clearly gives instructions on adding additional nodes, but with SQL, the instructions all appear to refer to setting up all the nodes and changing the clustered instance name before actually creating the cluster service group.
So does anyone know if it is possible to add additional SQL nodes to an already configured service group?
3 REPLIES 3

zippy
Level 6
Hywel

yes you can add more nodes but you have to stop and star the cluster, you need downtime for that.

JD

Tomislav
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi!

Did you find any solution for adding additonal node to an SQL cluster? I have the same problem so if you find any solution please let me know.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Wow, this is a post from a long time ago!

Anyway, adding and SQL node turned out to be a cinch. I think it's covered in the Solutions Guide for SQL. Basically, it's much easier than Exchange, and all that needs to be done is along the lines of:

1. Add your new node to the VCS cluster (if it isn't already)

2. Add the new node to the SQL service group

3. Online the diskgroups and mountVs on the new node

4. Temporarily rename the SQL data volume used for the system databases

5. Install SQL Server on the node, using exactly the same options as on the previous nodes. Remember to change the location for the system databases to match your original SQL node.

6. Apply any SQL service packs (note that SQL servicepacks often complain if SQL isn't actually running)

7. Delete the new folder created for the SQL data volume (or just rename it until you're happy everything works)

8. Online the SQL service group on the new node.

That's off the top of my head. I'm fairly sure it's mostly right!