Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a VCS 5.0 or 5.1 Cluster be included in a VCSone Config

Jochen_Pressler
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Can a VCS 5.0 Cluster be included in a VCSone Config

I have not fond any answer to a, in my oppinion, very common customer situation. If a customer has VCS (SFHA) Cluster and wants to use VCSOne for another part of his infrastructure (in my case VMware ESX environment), is it possible to include standard VCS 5.0 (or 5.1) Cluster in the Policy Master Configuration. We do not want to change/update the VCS Cluster to VCSone.

In the simulator there is a resource called VCSencap. Is this what i need? On a Vision 2008 Roadmap there were serveral interesting plans for VCSone and VCS Integration:

• VCS Encapsulation (VCSone Cypress 2008)
  • Full Management Console with VCS 5.0 support (VCSone Spyglass 2010)

Customer plans the following configuration

VCSone (new):

• Web-Tier on VMware ESX
  • App-Tier on VMWare ESX

VCS (existing):

• Database Tier (already on VCS, SFHA)

Can this configuration be built on the policy master?
Can a Service Group Dependency be bulit from VCSone SGs to VCS SGs?
Is there a plan for merging these two products? When?
How will the merge be done (upgrade, deinstall/install, ...)?

kind regards
Jochen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AHerr
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Jochen,

Your question is one that we are currently addressing.  Currently, VCS and VCS One are two distinct products with different architectures.
They do not have the ability to co-exist and both manage the same host.

In your configuration, you could remove VCS from your database tier and put the VCS One on those boxes, provided you are not currently using CFS or Oracle RAC.  These two products are not supported in VCS One.

In the long term, we are converging the two products into the VCS product.  We have started the convergence process and features will be available in our 5.1 SP2 release due out in 2011.  When the release is available we will work through the migration process.

Regards,
Anthony

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AHerr
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Jochen,

Your question is one that we are currently addressing.  Currently, VCS and VCS One are two distinct products with different architectures.
They do not have the ability to co-exist and both manage the same host.

In your configuration, you could remove VCS from your database tier and put the VCS One on those boxes, provided you are not currently using CFS or Oracle RAC.  These two products are not supported in VCS One.

In the long term, we are converging the two products into the VCS product.  We have started the convergence process and features will be available in our 5.1 SP2 release due out in 2011.  When the release is available we will work through the migration process.

Regards,
Anthony

Jochen_Pressler
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for this quick and useful response.

regards
Jochen