cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to install for VCS 5.0 Global Cluster?

trouphaz
Level 4

I'm trying to build a VCS Global Cluster using Storage Foundation HA 5.0.  The installation files I have do not specify anything in particular to install for global clustering.  I've installed and got the rest of the Storage Foundation up and running including a single node VCS cluster and the SRDF agents.  This is for testing global clusters with our DMX.

As background, I am downloading the install files from Symantec's site for enterprise access.  For the Storage Foundation Enterprise HA/DR,Solaris,v5.0 package it says to get Q17815F.sf_ha.dvd1.5.0.00.0.sol.tar.gz and Q19610B_agent_pack_3Q2006_cd1.tar.gz.  This is the same install files for any

6 REPLIES 6

H__Shannon
Level 3

Hi there,

It's not clear that you purchased Storage Foundation HA/DR.  Is that what you purchased?  It is the HA/DR package that gets you the Global Cluster Option (licenses the included bits).

Regards,

Hugh

trouphaz
Level 4

We actually have an enterprise license for all things related to Storage Foundation.  We just need to request the specific licenses whenever we are going to install something.  But, what comes with that is a website to download the specific installation files instead of the actual media.  The site is just called Symantec Full Product Access.

I just opened a support case and they pointed me at the VCS user's guide for 5.0.  I'll look at that since it has some info about global clusters.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi, The VCS admin guide's multi-cluster configuration setup area has all the info you'll need. You might wanna look at the SRDF agent guide as well. All of those are included on the SF HA cd. Cheers Riaan

trouphaz
Level 4
I can create a global cluster using the same subnet, correct?  I haven't found anything that speaks against that, but some things seem to assume that the failover to the DR node will mean a new IP and that DNS updates will be required.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Correct! Obviously it has the functionality to do DNS updates for when you really failover between sites. You can just use 2 ip's in the same subnet if you want to test the dns failover.

trouphaz
Level 4
Actually, we shouldn't ever need to do DNS updates.  Our hope is to use the same virtual IP at the remote site since the subnet is extended between the two sites.