cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do I need Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option

aviltauro
Level 4
I am new to Symantec Backup. 

a) When do I need Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option?  For a normal windows share backup (just the shared folder) do I stll need Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option?

c) What are the communication ports need to be open between server and the client running Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aviltauro
Level 4

Thank you for the quick reply.

My customer does not want to open many ports between backup server and the clients. They sit betwen the firewalls. How can I minimize the open ports between them?

Is there any way to backup with out the Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option running on the client so that I can backup just by opening the CIFS port?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. You use DLO when backing up multiple workstations/laptops where data is stored locally. If you want to backup a share on a workstation, then you need the RAWS agent either way in order to comply with licensing requirements. DLO tends to be cheaper from what I have seen.

2. Ports used:

Service or Process Port Port Type
Server Message Block (SMB) communication 135-139 TCP/UDP
Server Message Block (SMB) communication without NETBIOS 445 TCP/UDP
SQL 1434 TCP/UDP
DLOAdminSvcu.exe (DLO admin service) 3999 in listening mode TCP/UDP

Thanks!

aviltauro
Level 4

Thank you for the quick reply.

My customer does not want to open many ports between backup server and the clients. They sit betwen the firewalls. How can I minimize the open ports between them?

Is there any way to backup with out the Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option running on the client so that I can backup just by opening the CIFS port?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you can try, but I assume that not having all the required ports open is going to cause an issue somewhere along the line.

Thanks!