cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dlo 7.6 - failed to read data from chunks, missing attachment pst

s_support
Level 4

hi,

have just upgraded to 7.6 dlo server, and upgraded a couple of agents to 7.6.  i was told that doing this upgrade would resolve the failed to read data from chunks issue when restoring PST files, and missing attachments.

i have just done another restore, and at the end of the restore, it says total number of attachments=25470, number of attachments restore=6553. failed to read data from chunk file.

hoping someone can shed some light on what we are doing wrong, and whether this should be happening.

thanks

Phil.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

s_support
Level 4

it appears all is working and restoring fine now!  apparently a reboot of the dlo console server rectified everything, and the pst's did a full backup afterwards, and i was able to restore without any errors.

thanks for all your help on this one vjware.

Phil

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Post the upgrade, were new backups taken or were you restoring from the older .pst backups ?

s_support
Level 4

do you mean, did it do another full backup?  i don't think it did.. it did some kind of check against the local and network version, but that was it.

is it suppose to do another full backup?  if so, what is the correct procedure to initiate this?

thanks, PHil.

VJware
Level 6

I would recommend creating a test user and run the backup of the .pst files. Check if the issue is reoccuring or not.

If you would like to try for an existing user, then you would have to remove the existing backups for a particular user and rerun the backup.

s_support
Level 4

thanks vjware, i will try with a new user.

however, i would also like to try with existing user, but would like to know the correct process for removing exisitng backups, then re-running the backups.

thanks Phil.

VJware
Level 6

Correct process would be probably emptying the NUDF folders for the affected users (atleast the .pst files) and then running DeDupe's garbage collection process to remove any references. I checked internally and this issue should not be present for SDLO 7.6, though environments with SDLO 7.5 (and environments where 7.5 was upgraded to 7.6 with this issue being present like in your case) will need to rerun the .pst backups.

s_support
Level 4

thanks vjware, i shall try that on an existing user.

also, please note that not all agents have been upgraded to 7.6.  only users that i am testing.  can you confirm if this is an issue or not?

Phil.

VJware
Level 6

This should not be an issue as long as even the DLO server is upgraded.

s_support
Level 4

thanks again.

i have deleted the pst folders off the nudf for the users i am testing with.  the laptop is not turned on so it will not try another backup yet.

i am scheduling a dedupe garbage collection to run overnight.  hopefully it completes fine, as it is the first time it has been done (did not know aboutt his feature...)

i will then perform another backup of the pst file from the laptop i have been testing with, with the test user and same pst file.

will let you know the results.

Phil.

s_support
Level 4

hi VJware, i ran the garbage collection yesterday, and it took less than a second to complete... does this seem correct?  looking at the report, doesn't look like any space was reclaimed...

here are the results of the command i ran:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec DLO>DDGC.exe https://sealyapps03:8443 720
User authentication SUCCESS!
Garbage Collection Job Completed Successfully!

are you able to advise if i have done something wrong?

Phil

s_support
Level 4

HI AGAIN, i have just done a new backup and restore of a new pst file, and there are stuill failures in reading chunk files.  failed to restore soomething like 20000 attachments.

this is getting critical, hoping to get help.

Phil.

s_support
Level 4

i have just gone through the pst file, and had a look at a few of the emails.  it appears that normal "attachments" have been restored, however, some emails are missing signatures and pictures/screenshots from them.  i believe these are the missing attachments that were unable to be restored from chunk file.

vjware you are able to confirm if this is normal.  does not sound to be normal...

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls log a formal support case as ideally this issue should not occur with a new agent install of SDLO 7.6

s_support
Level 4

i have logged a support Case # 07534920

i'm hoping i can interact with my previous engineer i was talking to, neer.

VJware
Level 6

On it. Will try to get the BL engineer involved on this new case.

s_support
Level 4

hi VJWare,

it appears the issue may be fixed now.  apparently the server got restarted this morning (did not restart after the upgrade because was not prompted to), and i've just done a few restores, and i am no longer getting a failed reading chunk error.

the error i get now is "hash value not exists", but the number of attachments = 25470, number of attachments restored = 25438.

is this error totally different?

Phil.

VJware
Level 6

Possibly yes. I believe this error may affect only users with older backups, but would recommend to work with Support to confirm this.

s_support
Level 4

it appears all is working and restoring fine now!  apparently a reboot of the dlo console server rectified everything, and the pst's did a full backup afterwards, and i was able to restore without any errors.

thanks for all your help on this one vjware.

Phil