cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade mistake - Discovery Accelerator 9.0.2 to 10.0.1

BigAnvil
Level 5

I was about to start the upgrade of our Compliance Accelerator server when the supported upgrade path struck me so I decided to go back and check the DA server.

In my desire to get our EV environment upgraded to 10.x, I mistakenly read the upgrade path matrix for Discovery Accelerator.  As a result, I upgraded from Discovery Accelerator 9.0.2.1022 straight to 10.0.1.1069, rather than the supported path of 9.0.3 to 10.0.1 (Below is the Disocery Accelerator Install key from the registry)

Upgrade Path:  9.0.0.1135,9.0.2.1022,10.0.1.1069

Thought the upgrade appeared to go smoothly, I'm concerned that we're not in a good state now.  Can anyone offer any input on my situation?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

idaman22
Level 4

The best solution here is to stop the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (EVAMS) and restore from backup the last know good backup of DAv9.2 customer, custodian and configuration dBs. Uninstall DA from DA server and install v9.2 and run through the upgrade to DA9.3 then to 10.1. Each sp upgrade adds tables and columns to database so Symantec will not support an issue with an upgrade path that is not approved of and you would/might have to create new databases to resolve any issues with product

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you facing any issues after upgrade?

BigAnvil
Level 5

No issues I am aware of but I also didn't want to start running a bunch of searches or going through old searches and making changes if doing so could corrupt/break something.  I also didn't want to jeopardize somehow getting back to 9.0.3, if that was even possible or needed.

I'm obviously going to get our CA server upgraded according to the supported path but have left DA untouched since the upgrade in case there was something that could be or needed to be done before moving on.

idaman22
Level 4

The best solution here is to stop the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (EVAMS) and restore from backup the last know good backup of DAv9.2 customer, custodian and configuration dBs. Uninstall DA from DA server and install v9.2 and run through the upgrade to DA9.3 then to 10.1. Each sp upgrade adds tables and columns to database so Symantec will not support an issue with an upgrade path that is not approved of and you would/might have to create new databases to resolve any issues with product

BigAnvil
Level 5

Can anyone from Symantec here confirm what idaman22 is saying above?  If I really need to uninstall DA, roll back the databases, etc. it would be good to have confirmation this is the right thing to do.

Thanks for your input idaman22!

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey mate,

I can tell you that if it were me I would restore back to DA 9.0.2 and step through the upgrade process again, this time going to 9.0.3 and then to 10.0.1.

Whilst you may not be noticing any issues you could end up in a mess on your hands down the road.

regards,

BigAnvil
Level 5

Tony,

Thanks a ton for your input.  I will do just that - it's what I was afraid of but also what I figured was best.  I was just hoping to hear you say it was an oversight by Symantec on the support upgrade path and doing what I did was fine - silly me!

These are the DA related databases I show on the SQL server (see attached screen captures for everything):  EVBADAConfiguration - EVBADiscovery - EVBADiscoveryBW - EVBADiscoveryFDPM - EVBADiscoveryLegal...

From what I can see we don't have a DA custodian database... To confirm, I should uninstall Discovery Accelerator from the server, restore the most current pre-upgrade to 10.x DB backups for the five DA databases I listed above, reinstall DA 9.2 and continue up the supported upgrade path?

Thanks for all your help guys.  I can hardly tell you how much I apprecaite this forum and the time you spend here helping others!

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could always open a case with Symantec and see if they give you their blessing, but I really doubt it was just an oversight.  wink

Bu yep, that's how you need to do it.