cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.5 SP2 upgrade to EV 8.0 SP3 or SP4

rnt123
Level 5
Hello,

I need to upgrade from EV 7.5 SP2 to EV 8.0 SP3 or SP4 (decision has not been made which yet.) I was wondering if it would make things easier to upgrade to the latest SP for 7.5 before doing the 8.0 upgrade. Any thoughts?

Also, the whole purpose of this upgrade to allow us to push content back into users mailboxes (we are moving the users from an Exchange 2003 server to an Exchange 2007 server, so we need to get their archives back into their mailboxes for the move) and we need the Shortcut Location Processing feature that was introduced with 8.0 SP3 to clean up any shortcuts that user may have moved. Will this work, or will the shortcut fixing only happen if the shortcut links were "broken" when 8.0 SP3 was already in place?

Also, in general, is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello rnt,

Long live managers ;)

It looks like processing of the moved items did not complete succesfully.
If you follow your steps again with following checks:

Create a new mailbox & create two new folders in that mailbox (called One and Two) and populate the folder called One with messages.

Run the provisioning task on the EV server, and add the new mailbox to EV. Log back into Outlook (2007) and verify that the EV icons are there, then archive the items in the One folder and verify that they are successfully archived.

ADD - check in Archive Explorer to see if the mails are indeed stored in One

Then in Outlook I move the archived items from One to Two and run the Archive task for the Exchange server in "Archiving and Shortcut Processing" mode on the EV server. (There is only the default Exchange Mailbox policy, and the “Update archive location...” option on the "moved Items" tab is checked. )

ADD - check again in Archive Explorer to see if the mails are now in TWO (there should be a log in the reports-folder (something like move-shortcut-summary oid)
ADD - export archive to PST, open in Outlook, check ONE and TWO

Then I export the archive for the test user back into the mailbox, and I check in Outlook and the items are restored to One, and Two is unchanged - the items are still there with the shortcut icons.

ADD - Check again

regards

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GertjanA
Ok, so you are moving to exchange 2007, and keeping EV in?

Why restoring archives to mailboxes? If you go from 1 server (e2003) to 1 server (e2007), why get yourself in trouble?
Upgrade EV to ev80sp4, prepare the new exchange server for ev (systemmailbox and a task), move mailboxes.

After the move, have ev clean up shortcuts etc..

ev8 will update moved shortcut location. Check the documentation (updates.html etc) on 80.
Regards. Gertjan

wtsend
Level 3
Employee Certified
There is no benefit to upgrading to a more recent service pack before upgrading to EV8.  I also recommend SP4 since it has all the hotfix rollups from SP3 plus the move archive utility. 

Concerning the restoring to Exchange...  ???  Why?  After you upgrade you can configure so that EV updates the location of the emails in the respective folders as users move them.  No need to restore to Exchange.

rnt123
Level 5
Actually, as it turns out the current EV environment will be retired, and a new one will be created at a later time, so I do need to get all of the user's mail back into Exchange.

The plan is to upgrade to EV 8.0 SP4, run shortcut processing to match the shortcut locations in the mailbox with the locations in the archive, and then export the mail back into the Exchange mailbox. This is to avoid having duplicates in the mailbox in case the user moved any shortcuts into different folders after they were archived. I don't think there is another way, other than PST, which would be a tough sell politically.

GertjanA
Hello rnt123

Sounds like a waste of time to me....

If I was put in a situation like yours, i'd offer the following solution:

Upgrade the existing EV-environment to 80sp4
Install a new EV80SP4
Use the move archive feature to move the archives from old ev-install to the new.
uninstall old ev
keep running new.

Out of curiosity, and if you can elaborate, why do you want to do this?

GJ
Regards. Gertjan

rnt123
Level 5
Hi GJ,

Thanks for your help so far. The IT director has asked me to put this plan to work, I had no input into designing  it so that unfortunately is the reason. We do need to retire the current EV setup, so while your plan looks so much better (and simpler) it is not an option for me.

Having said that, I upgraded my EV lab from EV 2007 SP1 to 8 w/SP4, and I still notice that exporting the archive back into the mailbox is restoring the items to their original locations and the current "moved" folder still has the items listed as EV shortcuts. Here are my testing steps:

Create a new mailbox & create two new folders in that mailbox (called One and Two) and populate the folder called One with messages.

Run the provisioning task on the EV server, and add the new mailbox to EV. Log back into Outlook (2007) and verify that the EV icons are there, then archive the items in the One folder and verify that they are successfully archived.

Then in Outlook I move the archived items from One to Two and run the Archive task for the Exchange server in "Archiving and Shortcut Processing" mode on the EV server. (There is only the default Exchange Mailbox policy, and the “Update archive location...” option on the "moved Items" tab is checked. )

Then I export the archive for the test user back into the mailbox, and I check in Outlook and the items are restored to One, and Two is unchanged - the items are still there with the shortcut icons.

Is there a simple configuration setting I am missing, or perhaps I have to wait a certain amount of time between steps?

Thanks!

GertjanA
Hello rnt,

Long live managers ;)

It looks like processing of the moved items did not complete succesfully.
If you follow your steps again with following checks:

ADD - check in Archive Explorer to see if the mails are indeed stored in One

ADD - check again in Archive Explorer to see if the mails are now in TWO (there should be a log in the reports-folder (something like move-shortcut-summary oid)
ADD - export archive to PST, open in Outlook, check ONE and TWO

ADD - Check again

regards

Regards. Gertjan

rnt123
Level 5
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again GertjanA for your help. I got it working - the reason the archive was stuck in a pending state was because of a backup issue. Things are slightly different in Version 8, and once I adjusted the backup process, the pending items were listed as secured, and the vaulted item icon in Outlook appeared as it should.

Also, Shortcut Processing is now working as expected, and the reports it creates are very handy!

When I now export the vaulted content back into the mailbox with EVA (after cleaning up the moved items with shortcut processing) the items go into the correct folders, but the shortcuts remain. I know there is a task option to delete shortcuts, but since users will be moved off the vault in batches, I do not want to delete shortcuts for everyone.

Is there a way that the shortcuts can be deleted at the same time the vaulted items are restored into the mailbox? I found a way in Outlook to use instant search to filter items by message class EnterpriseVault and delete everything from the results window, but a method that does not impact the user would be much more preferable.

Thanks!

GertjanA
Hello rnt,

Glad you find the issue. Can you close this thread, and open a new one for your new question?

That way more people will read and response to your question
Regards. Gertjan