cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional EV servers to aid in PST migration effort

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

EV904

We have roughly 10TB of PSTs we need to get migrated into EV. Our throughput we're seeing is not overwhelmingly impressive - roughly 1GB per hour. We are going to utilize either EVPM and/or Locate and Migrate for the PST migration work.

Would it make sense or be wise to stand up additional servers to aid in the migration?

If we did create additional servers, would they each maintain their own indexes, or can they be told to use the index locations of the primary mailbox archiving EV server?

Is there somewhere that shows hardware requirements for an archiving server such as this?

Thanks as always for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

According to the bible:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4553

Similar/same as EV Archiving.

So there is definitely, I think, 'something wrong' if you're only getting 1 GB per hour.

Of course products like PST FlightDeck (from us at QUADOROtech) can greatly help with the hoovering up and collection of PST data, but, that's a different story.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The issue is that the migrator needs to run on the server that has the storage.

So adding extra servers won't necessarily help.

I would step back a little, and try to work out where the bottlenecks are.

- Take a 1 GB PST file on a very near by network attached location, and ingest it to a Shared Archive (which you can later delete) using the Import PST Wizard in the VAC.

- Do the same when the PST is on the EV server.

- Do the same when the PST is on a machine in the same network segments as some/all of the users.

Keep going until you work out some metrics and see what's going on.

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Thanks for the reply, Rob. I will perform these recommended tests.

Does Symantec provide a throughput estimate, or are there too many variables specific to an environment that would affect the migration speed?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

According to the bible:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4553

Similar/same as EV Archiving.

So there is definitely, I think, 'something wrong' if you're only getting 1 GB per hour.

Of course products like PST FlightDeck (from us at QUADOROtech) can greatly help with the hoovering up and collection of PST data, but, that's a different story.