cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent cross archiving in outlook

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is it possivel to prevent users to archive there itens/message to another archive (Vault)?

All user have there personal mailbox and access at least another mailbox (Group mailbox).

Up to now we only archive the group mailbox, the user only access this mailbox using OWA, now we are rolling out the outlook add'ins and enabling the personal mailbox for archive, and we found out that user are archive mail in another mailbox archive(Vault), how can we prevent this?

EnterpriseVault 9.0.3

Exchange 2010 SP1 RU 6

Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003/2010

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just make sure that users are not allowed to write into the group mailbox'es archives. (Make sure they don't have write permissions or explicitly DENY permissions to the users in the VAC)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Pretty sure that if you don't create an archive for the shared mailbox, people won't be able to archive to it... Haven't tested that in a while though.

Working for cloudficient.com

MichelZ
Level 6

Just make sure that users are not allowed to write into the group mailbox'es archives. (Make sure they don't have write permissions or explicitly DENY permissions to the users in the VAC)

Tonaco_pt

Rob, shared mailboxes are privileged way of interacting with the outside(let´s call client), we recommend our user just to delete spam from the mailbox, everything else is to be keep, the user can delete anything from the shared mailbox archive. I really need to find way to prevent user to cross archive itens.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, then, I'm confused.

What are you seeing (exactly)?

And what do you want people to be able to do, or not do?

Working for cloudficient.com

MichelZ
Level 6

As far as I understand:

Currently:

- Users have Mailbox + Groupmailbox
- Groupmailbox has been enabled for archiving
- Users are not being archived

New:

- Users get Outlook add-in
- Users are allowed to manually archive
- Users need to be prevented from archiving to the Groupmailbox

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

Sounds to me like your problem is that your users are able to archive messages from their own mailbox and the shared mailbox into their OWN archive, which the other users may not have access to. This would mean that your users encounter access denied messages when attempting to retrieve.

Either you could

1) enable full client functionality and allow the user to pick which archive they are going to archive into at the point of selecting 'archive now' (which would probably have a limited success rate) or

2) Take away the manual archive button, which may probably only recently have been made available (i dont see why you would have enabled manual archiving in a group mailbox, but hey, you might have a reason)

3) Maybe consider enabling a shortcut-less archiving strategy and implement vault cache\virtual vault + use drag and drop instead for shared mailboxes

4) Completely Ignore the security model implemented in EV and use exchange permissions instead via a reg key. I don't advise this...

You would also need to stop users from dragging shortcuts from one mailbox to another, which is something that also happens a lot with public folders

Regards,

Jeff

Tonaco_pt

That correct.

MichelZ
Level 6

Then I think my first answer still applies:

Just make sure that users are not allowed to write into the group mailbox'es archives.
This means you need to make sure users do not have write permissions to the group mailbox archive. Users normaly have this permission when they have Full Permissions on the Mailbox itself, so you would need to DENY permissions to your users/user groups on the individual group mailbox archives.

Tonaco_pt

Jeff, the shared mailbox are not the problem because the are not mapped in outlook, but when a user try to manually archive a message, they can see all archive mailbox. 

When you say "why you would have enabled manual archiving in a group mailbox", you my have a point there, I going to search how to disable manual archiving for the shared mailbox. The user access the shared mailbox using OWA and they don´t have the archive buttons.

Tonaco_pt

MichelZ, going to test this solution

Tonaco_pt

It work. now I have do change 1300 archive. 

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

Ah so you mean the POPUP of where to store the item is the problem? In 'lite/http' mode that is hidden. All mail would be stored in the user archive (their default archive)....

Regards,

Jeff

Tonaco_pt

Yes Jeff, that correct, Our user still have outlook 2003, I see if I can use your advice.