cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arch Server 5.0Sp3 does not connect to one of my Exchange servers 2003SP1

Osama_Salah
Level 4
Hi all,
I do have EV 5.0 SP3 and two XCH2003-SP1 servers.
One of the servers works fine the other does not.
When I try to enable a mailbox it says "No mailboxes found".
When I try to synch a mailbox on that server I get in the eventlog:

Timed out whilst waiting for the MAPI profile mutex
Exchange Server: ADG-DAS-XCH
MutexName: EnterpriseVaultProfileMutex EXCHANGESYNCHRONIZER
Reason: WAIT_TIMEOUT

An error occurred performing a request to synchronize the mailbox /O=ADGAS/OU=Head Office/cn=Recipients/cn=pf071576.
Error: Timed out whilst waiting for the MAPI profile mutex

I can't tell when this started to happen. We upgraded from exchange 2000 to 2003 two month back. It might have started then. The other Exchange server is working perfectly fine. The arch service has the correct permissions on the server.

Exchange System Manager on the archive service is 2003 without SP1.

I am planning to move to EV6 but I would feel much better about it once I resolved this issue. Since the other server is working fine I assume this one should too.

Appreciate any help
regards
Osama S.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes, you can create a new system mailbox.

This article discusses how to change the System Mailbox for EV 5.

Sometimes changing the system mailbox for a particular service is required. This may be because the system mailbox gets corrupted or deleted.

The System Mailbox is used for all Enterprise Vault services that directly communicate with Exchange Server.

These services include:

Enterprise Vault Archiving Service
Enterprise Vault Public Folder Service
Enterprise Vault Journaling Service
Enterprise Vault Retrieval Service

MORE INFORMATION

Create a new mailbox and user account through Active Directory Users and Computers. Attempt to log into the mailbox through an Outlook Client.

Note: You may need to force domain replication in Active Directory Sites and Services or run the Recipient Update Service from the Exchange System Manager to make sure the account has been stamped with an e-mail address.

Once you have successfully logged in, stop all Enterprise Vault services.

Close out of the Enterprise Vault Administration Console.

Within the SQL Server Enterprise Manager, expand YourServerName, Databases, EnterpriseVaultDirectory. Select Tables.

Right click the Service Entry Table that contains the system mailbox that you want to change. (e.g. - ArchivingServiceEntry)

Note: If the same system mailbox is used for all services, then you will need to change it on all Service Entry tables.

Select Open Tables\Return All Rows

Change the System Mailbox value to the name of the new mailbox that you just created.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
can you open the system mailbox for that archive service on the EV server? The system mailbox for the exchange server is on that exchange server, isn't it?

Osama_Salah
Level 4
I'm not sure what exactly you mean with System Mailbox for the archive service.
My services run with an account called "archiveservice" but that account does not have a mailbox. The account has full priviliges on the information store on both exchange servers.
The infstore on taht server has two system mailboxes. The archservice has all permissions allowed. only "associated account" is not checked and sepcial permissions is greyd out.

TonySterling
Every archive service has a system mailbox that it uses for to connect to the exchange server. When the service was created the system mailbox would have been created. If you are unsure of the name of the system mailbox you can query the ArchiveServiceEntry table.

run this script in SQL Query Analyzer for the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database

Select * from ArchiveServiceEntry

there will be a column for the system mailbox

Osama_Salah
Level 4
You are on the right track again.
I can see the sys mbx for both servers but can't open the one for the server where i have problems. It has the same permissions set as the other one that is working.
Can I delete this mailbox and have it recreated?

rgds
Osama Salah

Ps. the table was called "ArchivingServiceEntry" not ArchiveSerivceEntry
but i shall forgive you for this mistake ;)

TonySterling
Yes, you can create a new system mailbox.

This article discusses how to change the System Mailbox for EV 5.

Sometimes changing the system mailbox for a particular service is required. This may be because the system mailbox gets corrupted or deleted.

The System Mailbox is used for all Enterprise Vault services that directly communicate with Exchange Server.

These services include:

Enterprise Vault Archiving Service
Enterprise Vault Public Folder Service
Enterprise Vault Journaling Service
Enterprise Vault Retrieval Service

MORE INFORMATION

Create a new mailbox and user account through Active Directory Users and Computers. Attempt to log into the mailbox through an Outlook Client.

Note: You may need to force domain replication in Active Directory Sites and Services or run the Recipient Update Service from the Exchange System Manager to make sure the account has been stamped with an e-mail address.

Once you have successfully logged in, stop all Enterprise Vault services.

Close out of the Enterprise Vault Administration Console.

Within the SQL Server Enterprise Manager, expand YourServerName, Databases, EnterpriseVaultDirectory. Select Tables.

Right click the Service Entry Table that contains the system mailbox that you want to change. (e.g. - ArchivingServiceEntry)

Note: If the same system mailbox is used for all services, then you will need to change it on all Service Entry tables.

Select Open Tables\Return All Rows

Change the System Mailbox value to the name of the new mailbox that you just created.

Osama_Salah
Level 4
For whatever reason my archiving service doesn't have access to the mailboxes created on that server.
I checked again that it is full admin on the org and has send/receive as permissions on the server. It is also a local admin on the exchange server.
Not sure what I am missing there but it seems that all permissions are set correctly but still I can't open any mailbox from that server.

looks like i'm gonna spend some time longer investigating this issue, but for now it's an Exchange permissions issue and not related to EV.

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
You might want to look at the properties of the information stores. I've seen some cases where for security reasons, they didn't let rights inherit down into the stores. So although you may have send and receive as rights on the server, it's never making it to the stores or the mailboxes.

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Something else to try if checking the permissions does not brinig anything to light will be to set the archiving service to only use one thread. (You can change the default of 5 on the properties of the service to 1)
Do this for both services, stop the one that is working and then try again and see if that works.

Cheers