cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive Explorer Blank

Matt_Schu
Level 4
Hello All,

I am running EV7 Service Pack 4 for Exchange 2003.  When I go into OWA I can use the archive and restore buttons just fine, but when I go into Archive Explorer the page comes up pretty much blank.  All that displays is "Please select a folder in the left hand pane" and there is nothing in the left hand pane.  Also, when I use "Search Archives" I can type in the box search box, but when I select find now nothing happens. Any idea's?

Thanks,
Matt
8 REPLIES 8

Elaine
Level 3
I've had this exact error occur within my organization and the issue was that the proxy configuation settings on one of our Exchange servers was incorrect.  Make sure that your EV server names are included in that list.

Matt_Schu
Level 4
Elaine,

I am not sure what proxy config you are refering to.  Are you refering to RPC over HTTP? We don't use that in our organization.

Thanks,
Matt

Elaine
Level 3
Matt,

This setting is not specific to the RPC over HTTPS configuration and is used for a regular EV OWA setup.  So, what I did to resolve our issue was to modify the proxycfg bypass list on my back-end Exchange servers (if you are running in a clustered environment make sure to also change your passive nodes) to include the EV server FQDN, IP address, DNS alias and NetBIOS name.  Once this change was made and IIS was reset AE started displaying the proper info.  You can view your current proxycfg settings by opening a command prompt on the exchange server and typing in proxycfg. Here's the command:

proxycfg -d -p "<local>" "<local>;EV server IP address;EV Server DNS alias FQDN;EVserver DNS alias netbios name;EV server FQDN;EV server netbios name"

The article below has more details regarding this fix.  The article indicates that it only applies up to EV 6, but I'm running an EV 7.0 SP3 environment and it works fine :

Something of note is that you'll need to add the windows updates domains e.g. http://*.update.microsoft.com, http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com  or WSUS server info to the proxycfg bypass list otherwise you won't be able to patch your servers...I found out the hard way well before they published the article:

-Elaine

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Normally, if the proxycfg is duff you get a completely blank page - you can set it to all by doing proxycfg -d -p "<local>";* - if this works then your evservers.txt has something amiss.

The fact you are getting stuff may be a permissions issue. Are you enabled yourself for Archiving? If so you should see your own mailbox in the left. I would verify the permissions side (on the archive and exchange). There is also an application that ships with EV, Permission Browser (should be in the install directory) which you can verify what permissions are set against specific archives.

Mark

Matt_Schu
Level 4
Mark,

I don't have the Permission Browser application.  On what should I check permissions?

Matt_Schu
Level 4

Mark,

I do think it is a permissions problem.  I did notice that the shopping service keeps stopping by itself when I try to use the Search Archives feature in OWA.  Also, if I go to http://SERVERNAME/enterprisevault/archiveexplorerui.asp it opens with the user mailbox in the left hand pane.  Any ideas??

Thanks,

Matt

gladwc
Level 2
Is your EV installation an upgrade from older versions.  If so did you convert your indexes to structured as part of this upgrade process.  This was required if you upgraded from V5 to V6 I believe.

Without this step AE has no knowledge of folder location of archived items.

Matt_Schu
Level 4
I solved the issue.  It was a permissions problem with the anonymous user.  I had to run the owauser.wsf script again, restart the Admin service, and sync the mailboxes. All is well.  Thanks for everybodys input.