cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive Explorer and re-indexing

Owen_Thistlethw
Level 3
Quite a few of of our users use Archive Explorer to search for and locate vaulted items. In their wisdom, they've started moving the items around in public folders. As a result, the view in Archive Explorer no longer matches the contents of the public folders. I've talked to Symantec support about this and their response has been, "Once an item has been vaulted, it should never be moved". They say the reason why the two views don't match up is because each saveset has it's location in public folders attached to it. As far as I understand it, this means it can never be successfully re-indexed because it will always think it's in a particular location in public folders.

I understand that strictly vaulted items shouldn't be moved once their vaulted but this is a bit of a limitation. So, I'm wondering whether there is any way to update the Archive Explorer views ?

BTW. Our current version is EV6 SP3
5 REPLIES 5

Alan_M
Level 6
You're probably not going to like this but do a restore and then a rearchive.

Owen_Thistlethw
Level 3
Thanks for the response. Yeh, you're right, that isn't what I wanted to hear. I assume when you say restore you mean pull it back from the vault and then let it be archived again. Then re-index, yuck !

Are you sure there isn't any alternative ? If not, I think I might just re-iterate that people should never ever move vaulted items.

Owen.

W_Wintermute
Level 4
Nope, no alternative. Even if the index is rebuilt the foldername/path will still reflect what it was at the time of being archived as this information is obtained from the saveset.

Owen_Thistlethw
Level 3
Thanks for the response,

Owen.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Agree with Walter. Once a DVS has been created it stores the folder info when it was archived. Things can get confusing if you move folders around, and archive at different points!

The mantra is "Once archived DO NOT MOVE!" - it can really catch people out :)