Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived Items remain in Archive Pending state EV 8.0.1

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi Guy's :)

I've read thru the forum, and found several treads regarding archived items remaining in pending state.
All I've read is that it mighte be becaus of problems due to backup prosedures, is it correct that arhvived mail should stay in pending state until a backup have been run?
My setup is exchange 2003, EV 8.0.1.
Settings remove safty copies after backup..

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-vault-801-and-user-messages-pending-state
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281339.htm
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/archived-items-remain-archive-pending-state

All this liks over reffere to the same problem but offers no real solution, is it correct that items will stay in pending state until backup mode is cleared on vault store? Or is this related to another problem?
Realy thought that only differens in remove safty settings was that a copy will be left on exchange until a backup of EV have been run?

Realy need some help on this, thanks :) 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
When you are using Remove safety copy after backup the items stay pending until the archive bit is removed from the Vault Store partition files.  (dvs files, etc..)

If you are using Centera it is after replication.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
I've just installed the system today, and no error messages is recored in eventlog, no error as I can see in IIS logs.

TonySterling
When you are using Remove safety copy after backup the items stay pending until the archive bit is removed from the Vault Store partition files.  (dvs files, etc..)

If you are using Centera it is after replication.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Realy, I was sure this was a bug.. I do see the reason for using remove safty copy after backup, but realy do not see the why shortcut must stay pending.
It is from a user perspective very unfortunate they stay in pending state.
Is there any way to work around this other than to change remove safty copy to Immediatly or clear backup state on the vault store?
Of cource backup is to be setup, but was not supose d obe done in initial stage of the setup.
One other thing, I've sett the pending timeout to 1 day how will this affect pending state in this case?

TonySterling
ideally your archiving will occur after business hours and then your backup of the data will occur after that.  In that scenario users do not see the pending items.

The work around would be to run your backup manually to remove the archive bit.  The safety copy is there to allow you to recover quickly from a data loss scenario.  Should you lose your vault store before it is backed up the items are still pending in the Exchange Store so all you need to do is cancel the pending and restore last nights backup and you are off and running.  Otherwise you need to go back to Exchange backups to restore the items that are shortcuts but havent been backed up.

I would change your timeout so the items to do not keep getting reset.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Thanks for you help Tony :) 

TBS
Level 3
My vault store is on another server and replication does not reset the archive bit so I actually wrote attrib *.* -A /S into my script as the last step.  It is a bit dangerous but I am keeping a close eye on my backups.  Hopefully that helps you.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
TBS,

that's slow, use the IgnoreArchiveBit trigger file instead.  Its 5,000x faster, and safer if you build some error handling into your scripts.