cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived messages and Exchange Cached Mode

Phil_McDougal
Level 5
Hey all,

I have a user with about 10 2 GB PSTs.  I was going to use the PST Migrator to create a folder under their mailbox and have the Migrator import all of that mail.  But I was wondering ... Since it's company policy to have Cached Mode turned on, will all of that mail be cached with the rest of his mail and pulled into the .OST?

Let me clarify by saying that Offline Vault is not used. (EV 6.0 SP4)

Thank you!
Phil..

Message Edited by Phil McDougal on 05-21-200702:31 PM

6 REPLIES 6

Adrian_Toha
Level 3
Hi,

No only the shortcuts are copied in to the OST file, the shortcuts is linked to the vault of the user, so if the user is an laptop user and wants to open the archived item he/she should be connected to the network of where the EV Server is residing, or the archived items can not be opened. (thats why the offline vault is very handy, all your archived mail available when he/she is not connected to the network.

Is there a special reason to why the offline vault is not used? or cached mode (cached mode is designed for traveling, if the user is a regular desktop user with no access to the company network from the outside there is no problem, since most archived items (with EV) have an average size of 1 to 5 kb depending on the attachments.

hope this helps

best regards
adrian

Phil_McDougal
Level 5
Hi Adrian.

The reason we don't use Offline Vault is because this is a workstation and the user doesn't want the synch time associated with it.  And the reason they use Cached Mode is because they want to work even if they lose communications with the Exchange server. Plus, it takes the load off of the Exchange server (in theory).  Finally, it's company policy that I can't change.  ;-(

So with about 20GB of PSTs, the user doesn't want to have to synch that into his OST (which can only handle up to 20GBs).  I'd like to just migrate them into the Vault and allow him to be able to view these files in Outlook and from OWA.  If I do migrate the PSTs into a folder under his mailbox, will those messages (at least the vault links) get synched into the OST?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!
Phil.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

The shortcuts are going to be a lot smaller than the emails right so really will the sync be that big a deal...?
I'm guessing with 20gb of PST this is a senior guy in the company who wants his cake and eats it...
So it sounds like you want shortcuts but don't want them make available in the OST.  That sounds like an Outlook question more than anything, perhaps there is some attribute that can be set on messages so that it doesn't put them into OST(because it thinks they are already there....)

Adrian_Toha
Level 3
Hi Phil,

Yes if you have 20gb of PST files and you import them in a folder under the root of the mailbox (we use the folder "archived" al shortcuts are going to be copied into the OST file (since they are residing in your mailbox).
This will be done automaticlly in Outlook 2003 (which by default copies all content from the root down to the OST) for Outlook XP/2002 you need to tell outlook what to have synced, so if you have outlook 2003 and all PST's are archived/imported , outlook will copy any folder and its content to the OST file without asking.

so for your question to start with , yes! as long as the user(s) are on the network the OST will have aal items from the mailbox e.g. calendar/notes/tasks and so on.

Adrian, 

Phil_McDougal
Level 5
Dodo, You are correct; they are a senior employee.  I am going to see if I can disable Cached Mode with management support ;)  As far as Outlook, you are correct, I found out that you can go into the send/receive settings and them edit the account and what will and will not get synched. 

Yes, Adrian, we are using Outlook 2003 and I found that I can manually change the synch settings so that it excludes that folder I would create (also called Archived).  I'm going to see if management will allow me to disable cached mode, if not, I will try to deselect that Archived folder within the Send/Receive settings.

Thank you for the help!
Phil.

Message Edited by Phil McDougal on 05-22-200712:39 PM

Adrian_Toha
Level 3
Hi Phil,

The send/receive option will not work, on my laptop the "archived" folder is NOT set to sync, but i have all the shortcuts,  from all folders, i believe the option is only for working for outlook in "offline mode" cached mode (for my pc anyway) since Outlook 2003 there are 3 options instead of 2 with Outlook XP/2002, in "cached mode" Outlook will make a replica of your mailbox,  (when you start Outlook for the first time you will notice that Outlook says it's going to make a copy of the mailbox.

You can check it in Outlook, go to the root of your mailbox (outlook today:Username) and click on the properties-> folder size, there (in cached mode) you will see 2 tabs one is the amount of items/size on the server and the next tab shows the OST content items/size , in my case (standard Outlook 2003) the amount and size are the same.

If the size/items are about the same (could be of by 1mb) then all is synced.

Adrian,