cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Emails

MasonW
Level 3
All,

My email archiving functions as expected on new mail but not "old" ones.  The "old" emails are the ones I archived and restored as a test on a previous EVault install.  I had to wipe out EVault and start over due to some SQL issues.  Like I mentioned earlier, now I cannot archive those old messages.  I tried the registry setting (IgnoreEVDates) but that does not work.  The only thing that works is to somehow change the modified date for each email.  I noticed that using outlook spy reveals an Archived Date property which when deleted, that particular email gets archived.  Are the any scripts/utilities that will change or delete that property on many emails?  Note:  I am using a zero day archive rule to test.

Regards,
Mason
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MasonW
Level 3

Guys,

I solved my problem.
I recreated my mailbox policy and the registry settings started to work correctly.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What version are you using?

Are you sure the registry key is in the correct place?
REG_DWORD IgnoreEVDates in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agent.  Set the value of IgnoreEVDates to 3 (decimal), then restart the archiving task.

What if you set the archive policy to 1 day?

Can you manually archive the items without a problem?

Perhaps a dtrace of the archive task whilst doing a run now on one mailbox will show something.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/314492.htm

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Is there also a restored date attribute on each of the messages?

I agree with Tony the IgnoreEVDates registry key should do the trick for you, or, you could write a bit of vbscript to remove the restored date from every mail.

Hope that helps,
Working for cloudficient.com

MasonW
Level 3

Tony,

I am using 8.0 sp1.  I just noticed there is SP2 available and I am currently download it.

I have IgnoreEVDates in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agent.  Is this why this setting does not work for me?

Setting the archive policy to 1 day yields the same result, no archiving of old messages.

Manually archiving functions correctly.

Is there something I should be looking for in the DTrace log?

----------------------------------

Rob,

There is not a restored date attribute that I could see.  I am using the IMessage (outlook spy) button to view the properties.

Do you have a script that removes the archived date attribute?  Deleting that attribute makes the archiving function as expected.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Agents should be the correct path, but I copied that from a technote and just noticed that is Agent and not Agents.
This is the technote: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285091.htm

You can try creating the key Agent and see but I don't think that will help.  (I think the technote just has a typo)

This is from my personal docs for that key.

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents
IgnoreEVDates

0 = Off
1 = Ignore Archived date
2 = Ignore Restored date
3 = Ignore both Archived and Restored date

try setting the value to 2.

Cheers,

MasonW
Level 3
I created the key Agent - it did not help.

I also tried setting the value to 1 and 2; no difference.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Registry key...

You'll know you put the key in the right  place if there are other keys already present.. if you had to create the Agent(s) key then it is the wrong one.  Also you are creating the key on the EV server, right? (Sorry that's a bit of an obvious question, but I just want to make sure).

You say the items don't have a restored date field, but then you say if you remove the restored date field, the item archives properly ?  I'm not sure I follow that, can you explain?
Working for cloudficient.com

MasonW
Level 3
There was already an Agents key but not an Agent key....it created it just for grins with the IgnoreEVDates DWORD.

The items do not have a restored date property but an archived date property.

MasonW
Level 3

Guys,

I solved my problem.
I recreated my mailbox policy and the registry settings started to work correctly.

Thanks for all the suggestions.