cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attachment availability in Vault 7.5/Exchange

euscad
Level 2

We had consultants implement Enterprise Vault 7.5 and they are saying you cannot open attachments from the stub in Outlook. I am being told you have to go to the Vault if you want the attachment for an archived email. When you open an archived email you recieve a message above the address saying "There was an error loading this item -- some functionality may not be available:. The email opens but the attachments are not there.

Is this correct or can we configure it to allow the user to open the attachment from the email in Outlook?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Depending on the configuration, and if you are using a current version of Outlook and XP or Vista with the EV client installed, opening a shortcut (stub) can retrieve and present the archived email as a normal email item along with any any attachment.  On the shortcut, attachments can be presented as hyperlinks.  These configuration settings are in the Mailbox policy on the Shortcut Content tab.

There may be other reasons your consultants said it could not be done.  It might be disallowed by a business policy or there might be reasons due to your network config.

If you settings and network setup allow the shortcut to open the archived item and you are getting the error message, then there is something wrong with your setup.

Remember too if you edit your Mailbox policy with different Shortcut settings, it will only take effect on items archived after the policy change.  Items that have already been archived will have the old shortcut settings.

euscad
Level 2

I checked the setting and did a bit more investigating and it seems odd. I have some users that have their attachments show up as links, and many others have their attachments show up as an image (metafile) without a link. Any idea why some people would have a link and others would have an image?

Is there something that could go wrong with the archive process or a mistake that could cause this?

Thanks!

euscad
Level 2

I think I have this resolved. It seems that the system was not configured for RPC over HTTP however all of out laptop users have been. Even thought no one uses it, they still could not see their attachments. Once I added the settings and ran a synchronization the attachments showed up.

EV_Guru
Level 4
Partner

An attachment can allways be opened by doppleclicking a shortcut, in Outlook or OWA. But for this the systems must be successfully configured (Outlook, OWA, OWA - HTTP - RPC, ISA etc.)....

www.longerich.com