Level 4
Can this be turned off??

if so, where??

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

A_Z_rcher
Level 5
Partner Accredited
to turn off automatic enabling of mailboxes simply go to the properties of the Provisionig Group the user belongs to. In the tab "Archiving defaults" you can change the setting "Automatically enable mailboxes".
regards 

Steve_Lowson
Level 4
That's what i thought however i only have the following options

Vault Store

Retention Category

am i looking at the correct screen

Steve_Lowson
Level 4

Tobbe
Level 5
That's the site properties, not the properties of the provisioning group. You can use the provisioning group approach if you are running EV 7 or 2007 if I remember correctly.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
I believe that is correct. The message class were also moved down one level.

Steve_Lowson
Level 4
Thanks lads,

Any idea what i do on EV6 SP3??

Thanks

Steve

Brian_Day
Level 6
While we are at it maybe someone can answer a question I've gotten various answers on. :)

Scenario: A provisioning group is used to auto-enable mailboxes placed into a certain DL or using other LDAP quearyable Attributes. Some users in this provisioning group leave the company for various reasons and the decision is made to disable the mailbox in EV.

Answers I've gotten:

1. The next time the provisioning task runs, the mailbox will be re-enabled due to auto-enable.

2. The next time the provisioning task runs, the mailbox will stay disabled as a manual disable trumps the auto-enable feature.

Soooo..... which is it? :) Hoping for #2.

bobby_hilliard
Level 5
Don't use 6.0, but I found this on Symantec support:

Auto-enabling mailboxes
In Enterprise Vault 5.0, it was possible to edit the Site properties so that new mailboxes were automatically enabled for archiving. In Enterprise Vault 6.0, there is now more flexibility, in that you now auto-enable mailboxes at the Organizational Unit level.
The setting for automatically enabling mailboxes for archiving is not retained when you upgrade to Enterprise Vault 6.0. If you still require mailboxes to be automatically enabled for archiving, edit the properties of the appropriate Organizational Unit, as described in the 'Enabling archiving for new mailboxes' section in the "Day-to-day administration" chapter of the Administrator's Guide.

So...where ever the Organizational Unit Properties page is...

Tobbe
Level 5

bobby hilliard wrote:
Don't use 6.0, but I found this on Symantec support:

If you still require mailboxes to be automatically enabled for archiving, edit the properties of the appropriate Organizational Unit, as described in the 'Enabling archiving for new mailboxes' section in the "Day-to-day administration" chapter of the Administrator's Guide.

So...where ever the Organizational Unit Properties page is...

Found an old admin guide from the EV6 days and Bobby is right on target. Here's the text:

To make Enterprise Vault enable archiving for new mailboxes automatically

1 In the left pane of the Administration Console, expand the vault site

hierarchy until the name of the vault site is visible.

2 Expand the vault site and then expand Archiving Targets.

3 Expand Exchange.

4 Expand the required domain.

5 Click Organizational Unit.

If no Organizational Units are listed create a new one:

a Right-click Organizational Unit and, on the shortcut menu, click New

and then Organizational Unit.

b Work through the New Organizational Unit wizard.

6 In the right pane, double-click the Organizational Unit that will contain the

mailboxes that will be enabled automatically.

7 In the Organizational Unit Properties, click the Archiving Defaults tab.

8 Select Automatically enable new mailboxes.

9 Select a vault store to use for the new archives.

Select a default retention category to use for items stored in the new

archives.

Users can select other retention categories to use from the list of those

available.

10 Select OK.

Tobbe
Level 5

Brian Day wrote:
While we are at it maybe someone can answer a question I've gotten various answers on. :)

Scenario: A provisioning group is used to auto-enable mailboxes placed into a certain DL or using other LDAP quearyable Attributes. Some users in this provisioning group leave the company for various reasons and the decision is made to disable the mailbox in EV.

Answers I've gotten:

1. The next time the provisioning task runs, the mailbox will be re-enabled due to auto-enable.

2. The next time the provisioning task runs, the mailbox will stay disabled as a manual disable trumps the auto-enable feature.

Soooo..... which is it? :) Hoping for #2.

Not sure on that one but shouldn't it be pretty easy just to test what happens with two dummy accounts? Also, If you're using membership in groups or ldap attributes together with provisioning, You'd be safe by disabling the user and removing him from the group/deleting the attribute?

Steve_Lowson
Level 4
Thanks people, you have hit the nail on the head.

Brian_Day
Level 6

@Torbjorn Sjolund wrote:
Not sure on that one but shouldn't it be pretty easy just to test what happens with two dummy accounts? Also, If you're using membership in groups or ldap attributes together with provisioning, You'd be safe by disabling the user and removing him from the group/deleting the attribute?

Come on now, you're taking the fun out of asking. :) We're in pilot mode (still) at the moment so removing them from the DL can't happen as it is used to notify all users up updates/upgrades/downtime.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
If the user has left the company then they won't need to be receiving emails, so surely moving them into another PG would be ok?

Also, as the user is disabled within EV then the mailbox will still have the hidden message (which is used when enabling users) and their MbxArchivingState in the ExchangeMailboxEntry table should be set to "2" which means Disabled (0 = NEW, 1 =Enabled, 2=Disabled). So, I think if they have been set-up, then disabled , the auto-enable should leave them alone.....

Don't forget, we are talking about NEW mailboxes that are auto-enabled with this feature.

Will need to try this in my lab at work!

Mark

philt
Level 5
Hi Brian,

It's #2...Disabled Mailboxes will not be auto-enabled.

Cheers,
Phil