cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Agent, Archive Bit, Trigger File and Differential backups

JayScovill
Level 4

I think I already know the answer to this but I just wanted to confirm.

I'm using the BE Agent for EV and doing weekly fulls with daily differentials.

Since I'm not clearing the archive bit with differentials I'm getting unprotected safety copy warnings, etc.

Am I correct in thinking that even though I'm using the BE Agent which should make things automagic I will still need to use the trigger file to clear these safety copies?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes if you are not resetting the archive bit via whatever method then to tell us that you want post processing to occur you will need to use the trigger file

JayScovill
Level 4

In that case, are there any automated methods for creating a trigger file on new vault stores as they roll over?  Or do you have to remember to create them manually?

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Normally you are creating the trigger files in your pre/post backup scripts. So if you add a new partition you would have to modify these scripts to create a trigger file there too.

You could theoretically read all current vault store locations from the EV database through some powershell commands and then automatically create a trigger file on each of them but I doubt that it is worth the time to create/test such a script.

Just include this process in your documentation for creating new vault stores and you should be fine.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As Simon states this would be a manual process yes unless you do something funky like Simon suggests

JayScovill
Level 4

Thanks guys.

One other thing I'm a little fuzzy on.

If I'm understanding the agent functionality correctly, you can't control the backup method used for the EV partition files and databases seperately.  If I do weekly full and daily differentials on the files I'm also doing the same on the EV databases.

This results in errors such as "The SQL database transaction log for Vault Store "blah blah" has used XX% of it's allocated space".

If the only way to clear these errors is to do a log backup with trancation I guess that has to be done seperately of the full/differetial backup regime, correct?

If I do this using a SQL maintenace job it will interfere with Backup Exec and will complain that I'm using more than one agent to do backups.  So it will probably have to done through a seperate BE job utilizing the EV agent.