cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Scripts forEnterprise Vault & Event IDs with Veeam Post Script

habibalby
Level 5

Hello,

I have generated the scripts that needed to backup my Enterprise Vault Sites and Storage Groups using the Transform-Backup.PS1.

I have made two scripts, EVPostScript.PS1 which contains the Set-Clear commands to clear all the backup modes.

And I have create a EVPreScript.ps1 which runs via Task Schduler, the EVPreScript contains the Set Backup Mode on the site and on the Storage Groups.

When the EVPreScript runs, it set the Vault and Groups into the Backup Mode and Generates an Event IDs 7060,7059,7058,7319. After that the EVPreScript will invoke the Veeam Backup Job.

When the Backup Success on Veeam the EVPostScript should invoke the Clear- command to clear the Vault and Storage Groups from backup Mode. EVServer doesn't generate Event IDs when it exists even when I put the command maulally to exits the backup mode. It says that successfuly cleared, but no event IDs.

On the other Hand I can see that a Warning in the Event Viewer 41257 "One or more Vault Stores are in Backup Mode"

Any one can help?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Your PRE script should simply set backup mode at the site level, and indexes at the site level.. eg just:

#Site:EV Site
#Set backup mode on site
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe  -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'EV Site' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType Site}"

#Set backup mode on indexes in site

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName evserver -EVSiteName 'EV Site'}"

Same for your POST script.

You do not need to set at the site, then the vault store group, then the vault store, then the index locations.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

habibalby
Level 5

I sort this out and full blog is available in here.

Backing Up Symantec Enterprise Vault with Veeam Backup & Replication

http://dailyvmtech.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/backing-up-symantec-enterprise-vault-with-veeam-backup-r...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You should get a 7060 event from Storage Management saying:

'Successfully set Backup Mode on all the Vault Stores that are managed by the Storage Service on this computer.

You then do not need to do the individual vault store groups, or vault stores.  You've done them all in the site, with the one command.

The only thing you haven't done at that level is the Index Locations.

When you bring the site out of backup mode you should see a 7081 event from Storage Management... very similar text to the first one.

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So, this is the behaviour you get if you set backup mode more than once. Backup mode is implemented as a counter (so potentially several applications could back up at the same time)

Thus if you enter backup mode twice, but leave it once, you will still be in backup mode.

See if you have multiple events, such as 7058 for entering backup mode. Also, see if backup mode is cleared by re-running the script to clear it.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

...and since you are setting the backup mode on the site (which includes storage groups) and THEN the storage groups, sounds like this is why...

habibalby
Level 5

Hello,

I'm doing the Clear-IndexLocationBackupMode on Server and on Site.. and I can see that events are generated for the Clearing from Backup Mode.... Any suggestion?

Events Generated:

Here's my PreScript and my PostScripts;

PostScript:

#Post-job to Clear the Backup Mode on the Enterprise Site and EVServer.

#Clear backup mode from site
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'EV Site' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType Site}"

#Clear backup mode from vault store group
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Staff VSG' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStoreGroup}"

#Clear backup mode from vault store
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Low VS' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStore}"

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Over VS' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStore}"

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Normal VS' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStore}"

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'High VS' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStore}"

#Clear backup mode from indexes in site
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName evserver -EVSiteName 'EV Site'}"

PreScript:

#Pre-job to set the Symantec Enterprise Server and Site into Backup Mode.

#Set backup mode on site
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe  -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'EV Site' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType Site}"

#VaultStoreGroup: Staff VSG
#Set backup mode on vault store group
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Staff VSG' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStoreGroup}"

#VaultStore: Low VS
#Set backup mode on vault store
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Low VS' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStore}"

#VaultStore: Over VS
powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Over VS' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStore}"

#VaultStore: Normal VS
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Normal VS' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStore}"

#VaultStore: High VS
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'High VS' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType VaultStore}"

#SiteIndexLocations: RCSI-MUB EV Site
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName evserver -EVSiteName 'EV Site'}"

#Start Veeam Backup Job;
Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin

# Add the name of the backup jobs to be included here.

$chainedjobs = ("SymantecEV")

foreach ($jobname in $chainedjobs){
$job = Get-VBRJob -name $jobname
$jobtry = 0
start-VBRJob -job $job

$job.GetLastResult()
if($job.GetLastResult() -eq "Failed"){
    do{
        Start-Sleep 480
        Start-VBRJob -job $job -RetryBackup
        $jobtry++
    }
    while(($jobtry -lt 3) -and ($job.GetLastResult() -eq "Failed"))
}
}

habibalby
Level 5

Hi Rob,

I Re-Run the All Checks on the Status and didn't give any errors or Warning indicating that the Vaults are still in Backup Modes....

If the Vault are still in Backup Mode as you Said, the All Checks in the Enterprise Console will detect that the Vaults are still in Backup Mode..

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Your PRE script should simply set backup mode at the site level, and indexes at the site level.. eg just:

#Set backup mode on site

Same for your POST script.

You do not need to set at the site, then the vault store group, then the vault store, then the index locations.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There is no system status check which says that vault stores are in backup mode, or not.

The only ways to tell are :-

a/ At the database level

b/ By using the vault admin console (probably after an F5 refresh type of thing) and browsing down to the vault stores to see if they are in backup mode, or not.

Also might be worth mentioning your EV version, as I have a feeling this incremental-count thing that Jeff mentioned has changed somewhere along the lines.

Either way if you set backup mode at the site, and index locations at the site, that's all you need to do.

habibalby
Level 5

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your advice, I'm using version Symantec Enterprise Vault 9.0.2.1061.

What about IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt. As per this Article http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35610 Symantec recommends to implement this solution, specially since I;m backing up the Valut with Veeam Backup and not any Backup Software such as Backup Exec..

Thanks,

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I guess the ignoretriggerbit is an 'option'.. but I don't (personally) see anything wrong with the way you're trying to do it now - you're just not doing it 100% correctly.  I'd test the suggestion here, and test the IgnoreTriggerBit then you can choose.

habibalby
Level 5

Thanks,

Will modify the scripts to Set the Backup mode on Site Level and same way to clear it on Site Level and will introduce the creation of the IgnoreTriggerArchiveBit in the Pre Scriot and the deletion on the Post Script.

Forgive me, my Scripting knowledge not that much and I can't call myself I'm a pro scripting guy.

Cheers,

habibalby
Level 5

Hello,

I can't see the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old created nor the other .xml file PartitionSecuredNotification.xml...

Last backup runs on this server using Backup Exec on yesterday, so the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old should exists..

Thanks,

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

there was in the past a problem with using the triggerfile, and setting backupmode on sitelevel.

if you set backup mode manually on a store, then clear it, does the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt change into an  IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old file?

If so, you should set backupmode on VaultStoreGroup, or VaultStore level for the time being.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171215

Not sure if this is fixed in your release. check release notes

Regards. Gertjan

habibalby
Level 5

Hello Gertjan,

Well, I have just introduced the file ArchiveBitTrigger into the PreScript and the PostScript for creation, the issue I found that the files are not being created not being deleted becuase I'm putting the Directory Path in the Scripts which is refering to a Remote Server 'EV Server', in this case I have to put the UNC path in the scripts which are being runs on the Veeam Backup Server.

I found that the hidden shares of the Store Vaults are not accessible even if I give access to the user which runs the Scripts.

EVPartition01cc55b2dc699b70$
             E:\Data\High\High VS Ptn1
EVPartition01cc55b34882a450$
             E:\Data\Normal\Normal VS Ptn1
EVPartition01cc55b3725ff520$
             E:\Data\Over\Over VS Ptn1
EVPartition01cc55b2753ddd30$
             E:\DATA\LOW\Low VS Ptn1

Any help?

Thanks,

habibalby
Level 5

Hi @Gertjan,

My Version is 9.0.2.1061 and I qouted this from the TECH171215 article says;

You have to set the powershell script to turn on backup mode from server or vault store level instead.

I'm running it on the Site Level which includes the Site,Server, Vaults and Storage Groups; and when I run the scripts, I get an Event ID; 7060

Successfully set Backup Mode on all the Vault Stores that are managed by the Storage Service on this computer.

Computer Name: evserver.domain.com
Storage Service EntryID: 19B9835B31D983D4C92B62F8C4C0025981e10000evserver

habibalby
Level 5

In here; http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171215

Temporary Workaround:

1.  Open the Vault Administration Console

2.  Expand the directory, site, and then the vault store group.

3.  Right click on your vault store, select 'set state' and then select 'Set backup mode on all vault stores'

This will cause Enterprise Vault to modify the ignorearchivebittrigger.txt file to ignorearchivebittrigger.old.  You can then rerun your script to create the ignorearchivebittrigger.txt file.

The IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt files created in each Vault Store, and as per the Workaround, I have manually "Set Backup Mode on all Vault Stores", but the files didn't change from .txt to .old as per this article.

Any help?

Thanks,

habibalby
Level 5

Hello,

Managed to sort out the permission issue;

Now my scripts are looks like the below;

PreScript:

#Pre-job to set the Symantec Enterprise Server and Site into Backup Mode.

#Delete Old IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old files
DEL "\\EVServer\EVPartition01cc55b2dc699b70$\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old"
DEL "\\EVServer\EVPartition01cc55b2753ddd30$\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old"
DEL "\\EVServer\EVPartition01cc55b34882a450$\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old"
DEL "\\EVServer\EVPartition01cc55b3725ff520$\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old"

#Set backup mode on site
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'EV Site' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType Site}"

#SiteIndexLocations: EV Site

#Start Veeam Backup Job
Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin

# Add the name of the backup jobs to be included here.

$chainedjobs = ("SymantecEV")

foreach ($jobname in $chainedjobs){
$job = Get-VBRJob -name $jobname
$jobtry = 0
start-VBRJob -job $job

$job.GetLastResult()
if($job.GetLastResult() -eq "Failed"){
    do{
        Start-Sleep 480
        Start-VBRJob -job $job -RetryBackup
        $jobtry++
    }
    while(($jobtry -lt 3) -and ($job.GetLastResult() -eq "Failed"))
}
}

PostScript:

#Post-job to Clear the Backup Mode on the Enterprise Site and EVServer.

#Create IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt

echo "Enterprise Vault Trigger File"> "\\EVServer\EVPartition01cc55b2dc699b70$\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt"  
echo "Enterprise Vault Trigger File"> "\\EVServer\EVPartition01cc55b2753ddd30$\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt"
echo "Enterprise Vault Trigger File"> "\\EVServer\EVPartition01cc55b34882a450$\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt"
echo "Enterprise Vault Trigger File"> "\\EVServer\EVPartition01cc55b3725ff520$\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt"

#Clear backup mode from site

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'EV Site' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType Site}"

#Clear backup mode from indexes in site

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName evserver -EVSiteName 'EV Site'}"

#===============================================================

Thanks,

habibalby
Level 5

Hi,

Will the attrib -a *.* /s do the trick of resetting the Archive Bit on the Storage Vaults directories,Sub Directories and Files?

Thanks,

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

Hi, yes it will, but you only need

attrib -a * /s

You will of course need to make sure the backup was valid before firing this off...

Regards,

Jeff