cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup strategy

Daniel_Yehezkae
Level 4
Hey

We are now in the steps of enabling our users for archiving. We use Netbackup for backing up our data. We first dump the SQL then use netbackup's windows policy to copy all of data to the tapes.

So for now it takes about 6 hours to backup (at 4MB/s), but what will be in half a year or one year?
I don't want to reach a stage were backup takes few days.

As for now we have only one Store, and one partition. I thought of closing this partition after it reaches say 100G, and stop its backup. Then open a new partition for daily use.

Is it advisable? Does a closed partition means an absolute read only mode ?

Thanks Daniel
2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The closed partition will not be written to, but it is not read only. If you allow deletes those items will be deleted, as well as if you run storage expiry those items will be expired.

Yes, it is a good thing to close your partitions to allow the backups to run faster.

Amanda_H_
Level 4
I'd recommend, if you are going to do this (which I do agree with and think is a good idea) you should still back your closed partition up every now and then. We do quarterlies. Weird stuff can happen with tapes. It would truly suck to have to recover EV only to find your only backup of the whole thing after you closed the partition wasn't viable. If new data isn't being added (which it is not, once you close the partition), you can back it up once or twice a year even.