Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best m ethod of Migrating EV archives to New Forest\Exchange Organisation

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner
Hi All
I've been involved in this type of  migration before and have a process .Not sure if it's the most efficient so I would like some input .I have referenced the EV migration guide bu haven't found anything that discusses this example
We have a customer who will be mirgrating Exchange Users between 2 seperate Forests\Organisations and wants to move the EV archives to a new EV system.
What is the best way to move the Shortcut items ?I have considered 2 options
  1. Export the EV archives  to the old mailboxes  and then export the mailboxes,this will restore the shortcuts   .Disadvantage with this is the mailboxes will be much bigger now for the migration
  2. Export the the EV Archives to PST ,migrate the mailboxes and then import the PST 's into the new  EV archives .The question I have is now the migrated Mailboxes before the PST import  will have references to Shortcuts that are not accessible as there 2 are  separate EV systems .When I import the old archive\pst data into the new empty archives will it create duplcate shortcuts in the migrated mailbox ?Should I delete the old shortcuts to avoid this ?
I hope this makes sense ,if anyone has suggestions on a better way to do this please let me know :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Bruce There is no simple way. We have a tool called "Archive Shuttle", which does this in an automated way. Basically, it's an export/import of the User's archive, but we have a way to track the shortcuts and have them updated. This should work cross forest / cross EV site. Have a look: http://www.evtools.net/10.html Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MichelZ
Level 6
Bruce There is no simple way. We have a tool called "Archive Shuttle", which does this in an automated way. Basically, it's an export/import of the User's archive, but we have a way to track the shortcuts and have them updated. This should work cross forest / cross EV site. Have a look: http://www.evtools.net/10.html Cheers Michel

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Is this the guide you read?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/managing-mailbox-moves-within-enterprise-vault-archiving-environments

I would not recommend your 1st option because as you said the mailbox will be much larger. 

If you went with option 2 I would delete the shortcuts in the mailbox and try to convince the users to not require shortcuts in the mailbox at all.  (good luck with that one! :) )

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner

Thx guys as usual for your relevant and insighful comments

@Michel I will look into that tool and get  back to you if I require further input

@Tony ,I wasn't  using that guide.The one you showed me is much more detailed ..thx :)
Im going to look into Michels suggestion with the evtools option

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner
@ Michel
I've read through the relevant PDF's ,Archive Shuttle looks impress and seems to be what we need to assist with this type of migration.I have mailed your company to get some pricing information.I see it's based on number of archives so I assume the cost will be stuctured  on the number of users ?
Thx for the input

MichelZ
Level 6
Bruce It's "Number of Archives", usually, this corresponds with "number of users", but there are pitfalls, of course. (Many archives from "old" users and things like this) Best way to find out is probably if you run this SQL Query on the "EnterpriseVaultDirectory" Database: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Archive Let me know if you need anything else. Cheers Michel

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner

Will do thx :)

MichelZ
Level 6
Bruce Was this "problem" solved for you? Could you mark one as solution? ;) Thx & Cheers Michel