cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for FSA in EV8.0SP3

djbrown71
Level 4

Hi, I am looking for some help with regards to FSA in EV8.0 SP3. In particular the sequence of events which need to be considered when archiving fileservers using EV FSA.

At the moment i have a schedule which starts the FSA Task at 20:00, it ends at 11:30 the following day and at 11:30 a backup of the vault store group takes place.

My question is can i run a backup of the fileserver data at the same time as the FSA task?

Any tips on running FSA appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Maverik
Level 6

Hi,

Generally speaking archiving is scheduled to take place out of business hours so the server is free to handle user requests during the working day, however this is not a mandatory rule and would depend alot how hard user's may hot your ev server requesting items etc.

A backup at the same time as the archiving task is generally not advised.  The data is changing as you are backing it up, and the additional load on the server. 

What I would ask is does it really take from 2000 to 1130 the next day to complete archiving?  Is perhaps between 1900 and 0600 not enough? or even less?

Here is a link to some whitepapers on EV and FSA component.

http://www.archivingcentral.co.uk/page_1286397402362.html

djbrown71
Level 4

Sorry for the late response.

Thanks for your comments, i should have mentioned we have just started to use FSA and have several TB to archive so we wanted to get through a large amount of data as quickly as possible.

Our full backups take almost the whole weekend so we are trying to maximise the available time to archive.

The link you provided is very useful.

Thanks.